AUSTRALIA completed a 55 run win against a spirited Irish Women's side at Claremont Road in the second game of their T20 International Series.
Kim Garth's new ball burst saw the Southern Stars in deep trouble at 27 for 3, as she removed Jess Jonassen (1), Elyse Villani (14) and Alyssa Healy (1) in quick succession.
The Irish were further boosted when Lucy O'Reilly's first delivery induced an edge from Aussie skipper Meg Lanning to leave her side floundering on 38 for 4.
Jess Cameron made a breezy 20, but when she fell in Louise McCarthy's first over, the game was finely balanced at 63 for 5.
Ellyse Perry rescued her side with a top score of 39 from 32 balls (4 fours), sharing a 6th wicket stand of 44 in 38 balls with Alex Blackwell (20*).
Grace Harris (19*) then struck four consecutive boundaries in the final over as Australia finished strongly to post 131 for 6.
Garth was the outstanding bowler to finish with the excellent analysis of 3 for 17, while Louise McCarthy (1-19, Laura Delany (1-22) and Lucy O'Reilly (1-34) were the other successful bowlers backed up by a superb fielding display.
The Irish reply started poorly wit the early wicket of Clare Shillington, and further disaster struck when Cecelia Joyce - top scorer in Wednesday's match - was run out without scoring.
Isobel Joyce hit three boundaries as she top scored with 24, but her dismissal - unluckily run out via a Laura Delany deflected drive - saw the boundaries and the runs dry up.
The Australia spinners strangled the Irish innings, so much so that no boundaries were scored between the 7th and 19th overs.
Jess Jonassen (2-8) and Erin Osborne (2-10) had a combined analysis of 4 for 18 in their 8 overs as Ireland finished on 76 for 7.
Kim Garth completed a fine all-round game by making a run a ball unbeaten 15, but it was a case of too little, too late for Ireland.
- Laura Delany
- Irish joy as Garth dismisses Jonassen
- Jess Jonassen scored 1
- Elyse Villani
- More Irish celebrations as Villani departs
- Elyse Villani scored 14 off 10 balls
- Kim Garth - 2 wickets in 2 balls
- Australian captain Meg Lanning
- Ciara Metcalfe
- Alyssa Healy
- Healy departs for 5
- Jess Cameron
- Meg Lanning edges Lucy O'Reilly's first ball
- Lanning departs
- Lucy O'Reilly
- Isobel Joyce
- Ellyse Perry top scored with 39
- Cameron is bowled by Louise McCarthy
- Alex Blackwell
- Garth and Delany celebrate as they combine to dismiss Perry
- Perry departs
- Grace Harris scored 19 off 10 balls
- Harris and Blackwell put on 24
- Garth leaving the field after taking 3 for 17 in 4 overs
- Ellyse Perry
- Clare Shillington
- Aussie joy as Shillington is out
- Disappointment as Shillington departs
- Sarah Coyte
- Isobel Joyce top scored with 24 off 29 balls
- Jess Jonassen
- Laura Delany
- Isobel Joyce is unluckily run out
- Erin Osborne
- Mary Waldron
- Shauna Kavanagh
- Kavanagh departs
- Kim Garth
- Lucy O'Reilly
- Nice take by Healy
- Handshake from the Aussie captain