Ireland Women win opener against Dutch
CECELIA JOYCE scored a half century as Ireland beat The Netherlands by 32 runs in their European T20 opener at Rugby.
The Irish - playing in their 200th international match - got off to the worst possible start as their most capped player Clare Shillington (126) was bowled off the first ball of the match.
Cecelia Joyce and Mary Waldron then shared a productive second wicket partnership of 91, dominated by Joyce.
The Merrion star hit 58 from 51 balls (6 fours), while Waldron proved the perfect foil making 29 from 39 balls.
Isobel Joyce (13) and Laura Delany (10) added late runs as Ireland finished on 132 for 5.
The Dutch chase started in similar vein to the Irish, as Miranda Veringmeier was bowled second ball by Louise McCarthy (1-18).
Esther De Lange batted through the 20 overs to finish on 53 from 69 balls (3 fours) as the Dutch made no attempt to chase the target, simply opting for respectability and improving their run rate.
The Irish attack bowled tidily as The Netherlands finished 32 runs adrift on 100 for 4.
- The toss
- Captains Denise Hannema and Isobel Joyce
- Four runs for Cecelia Joyce
- 50 runs for Esther de Lange
- Determined Kim Garth
- Cecelia Joyce and Mary Waldron on their way to a fantastic partnership of 91
- Cecelia Joyce
- Cecelia Joyce on ger way to a fine 58
- Half century for Cecelia Joyce
- De Lange hits to point
- De Lange nudges one to mid off
- Elena Tice runs out Heather Siegers
- Great stop by Kim Garth
- Irish celebrations
- Isobel Joyce hits to midwicket
- Joyce makes her ground
- Kim Garth bowls
- Mary Waldron clean bowled
- Mary Waldron in full flight
- Miranda Veringmeier gathers
- Single for Mary Waldron
- Steere Kalis bowls
- Tessa van der Gun to mid on
- The Netherlands celebrate
- Veringmeier's body language says it all