Ireland lose to New Zealand
A brave battling performance wasn't enough to give Ireland a win at the Women's World Twenty20 yesterday. But it put the rest of the competition on notice that they mean business.
Isobel Joyce's women scored 129-5, by far their best T20 score against a top nation as they ran New Zealand within 42 runs.
The Kiwis have always been among the top three nations in women's cricket and showed their power with the bat after a slow start.
Suzie Bates (68) and Frances Mackay (51) put on 116 for the first wicket before both were removed by Eimear Richardson.
Isobel Joyce's first two overs went for just three, and she finished with top-class figures of 4-1-17-1.
Elena Tice bowled her first three overs for 15, but was hit for two sixes in the last over of the innings by Sara McGlashan, sister of test player Peter, as the Black Ferns totalled 171-3.
Chasing 8.6 an over, Ireland started positively through Clare Shillington, who hit 28 off 25 balls including three successive boundaries off Hayley Jensen..
The experienced Joyce sisters took up the charge, with Isobel hitting 24 and Cecelia an excellent unbeaten 39.
The target was just too great, but the bats were unfazed and hit 17 fours, just one less than the Kiwis.
Trent Johnston's side have an even tougher test tomorrow against Australia but the form shown against the Black Ferns will mean they will be shown respect.
- Billy Bowden and Trent Johnston
- Mark Lane and Ian Gould
- Toss was won by New Zealand who batted
- Billy Bowden and Isobel Joyce
- Louise McCarthy chooses the match ball
- New Zealand skipper Suzie Bates
- Isobel Joyce changes her field
- Louise McCarthy
- Swept by Suzie Bates
- Eimear Richardson took two wickets
- Louise McCarthy goes past the outside edge
- Bates drives the ball back
- Ian Gould takes evasive action
- Good opening stand between Bates and McKay
- High take by Mary Waldron
- Suzie Bates drives past Lucy O'Reilly
- The leg spin of Elena Tice
- Boundary for Frances McKay
- Return to Laura Delany
- Rebecca Rolfe and Kate McKenna
- Eimear Richardson bowling
- Lofted away by Frances McKay
- Swept by Frances McKay
- Improvisation from McKay
- Fielded by Eimear Richardson
- Catch for Elena Tice
- Elena Tice and Eimear Richardson
- New Zealand take a qucik single
- Eimear Richardson bowling for Ireland
- Boundary brings up the half century for Frances McKay
- Sara McGlashan batting
- Crashed away by Sara McGlashan
- Isobel Joyce and Eimear Richardson
- Isobel Joyce takes the return
- Ian Gould signals the free hit
- Cecelia Joyce catches Priest
- Isobel Joyce unable to stop the six
- Emma Flanagan batting
- Emma Flanagan just makes her ground
- Clare Shillington scored 28
- Morna Nielsen bowling
- Emma Flanagan is bowled
- Morna Nielsen congratulated
- Holly Huddlestone
- Punched by Isobel Joyce
- Guided away by Isobel Joyce
- Hayley Jensen bowling
- Driven by Clare Shillington
- Nicola Brown bowling
- Reverse sweep by Clare Shillington
- Frances McKay congratulated on the wicket
- Browne bowling
- Elena Tice and Isobel Joyce
- Runs for Elena Tice
- Huge appeal by Suzie Bates
- Swept by Elena Tice
- New Zealand celebrate the end of Elena Tice
- Isobel Joyce is caught on the boundary by Frances McKay
- Cecelia Joyce scrambles home
- Hoisted away ny Melissa Scott-Hayward
- Melissa Scott Hayward improvises
- Suzie Bates congratulated
- Ian Gould signals the boundary
- Boundary for Cecelia Joyce
- Louise McCarthy batting
- Cecelia Joyce top scored with unbeaten 39
- Boundary for Cecelia Joyce
- Player of the Match award for Suzie Bates
- Suzie Bates and Frances McKay
- Player of the Match Suzie Bates
- Isobel Joyce post match press conference