Joyce leads Ireland to T20 World Cup finals
Isobel Joyce produced a Player of the Match performance to lead her young Irish side into the finals of the ICC World Twenty20, which will be held next April in Bangladesh.
Joyce scored an unbeaten 72 from 64 balls (6 fours) as Ireland posted 136 for 5 in the rain delayed encounter at YMCA.
The Irish skipper shared a crucial 80 run second wicket partnership with 17 year-old Kim Garth which laid the foundations for an impressive Irish batting performance on a slowish outfield following heavy rain.
Garth made a run a ball 31, but her dismissal saw Ireland fail to push on in the final overs, when a total of 150 looked to be within their grasp.
The Dutch women were always in contention in their reply, inspired by an excellent innings from Helmien Rambaldo.
She made an unbeaten 58 from 54 balls (3 fours) and looked to be steering her team to the third qualification slot.
The game turned in Ireland's favour thanks to two pieces of inspirational fielding. Firstly, Cecelia Joyce held a steepling catch on the boundary to remove the dangerous Tessa van der Gunn (20), and crucially, 13 year-old Lucy O'Reilly ran out Heather Siegers (29) to put Ireland back on top.
The Netherlands needed a boundary from the final ball but managed just a single as Ireland prevailed by just two runs - Laura Delany holding her nerve in those final anxious deliveries.
A fantastic game of cricket and a super advert for the Women's game, played in front of a large crowd at YMCA, who deserve special praise for hosting the game in such trying and difficult conditions.
- Match referee Dev Govindjee wishing for change in the weather
- Isobel Joyce flips the coin- Netherlands win and choose to field
- Captains Denise Hannema and Isobel Joyce with Dev Govindjee
- All hands on deck as Dale McDonnagh and Trent Johnston sand the outfield
- YMCA head groundsman Dale McDonnagh
- The covers come off as Officials make a decsion
- Dutch celebrations as Clare Shillington goes for 6
- Isobel Joyce on her way to superb 72 not out
- A pertnership of 80 between Isobel Joyce and Kim Garth
- Isobel Joyce poised to strike
- Kim Garth on her way to excellent 31
- Esther Lange bowling for the Netherlands
- Garth makes her ground
- Single for Isobel Joyce
- A sore one for keeper Veringmeir
- A single for Kim Garth
- Braat fields
- High flying by Denise Hannema
- An unhappy Kim Garth out for 31
- Big appeal by Leonie Bennett
- Half century for Isobel Joyce
- Bruning felds
- Hugs for Joyce on reaching her 50
- Mariska Kornet in full flight
- A rueful grin from Kornet
- Irish Captain Isobel Joyce leads by example:
72 not out 6x4
- Great stop by Heather Siegers
- Anoher boundary saved by Siegers
- Siegers again on the boundary
- More runs for Isobel Joyce
- Ireland team beat Netherlands by 2 runs
- Happy Ireland team
- Tears and joy as Ireland celebrate
- Memorable victory for Ireland
- Hugs all round
- Cricket Ireland President Robin Walsh
- Isobel Joyce receives player of match award from Dev Govindjee
- Pakistan's Bismah Maroof - Player of the Tournament with Dev Govindjee