Pakistan crush Ireland
Pakistan beat Ireland at YMCA by 9 wickets and qualified for the ICC World Twenty20 in Bangladesh in 2014 as its bowlers showed their class.
Pakistan started well removing captain Isobel Joyce (0) as she was bowled by Sumaiya Siddiqi. Clare Shillington (5) - who has had a great start to the tournament - was the next to go by an outstanding run out square of the wicket by Nahida Khan; leaving Ireland on 10 runs for 2 wickets at YMCA.
Kim Garth (38 not out) with 2 fours put on a fantastic performance batting through the innings as her partners came and went. Cecelia Joyce (7) was next out caught lbw by spinner Sadia Yousuf. Yousuf got her second wicket 8 balls later as Mary Waldron (2) tried to slog the delivery to midwicket, only to be caught out by the spin and Batool Fatima did some good work to stump behind the wicket.
The Sadia Yousuf and Batool Fatima was a winning combination as Delany (4) and a dejected Tice (0) both were dismissed in the same way, leaving Ireland languishing on 32 runs for 6 wickets. The Irish wickets continued to fall and they finished on 65 all out in 19.5 overs. Sadia Yousuf performed outstandingly picking up 4 wickets for 9 runs in her four overs. Wicketkeeper Batool Fatima deserves a special mention for one catch and four stumpings.
Pakistan's batting performance was very professional and it managed the runs in just 14.1 overs. The only wicket to fall was Nahida Khan (13), after Ireland's player of the day Kim Garth got her wicket. Javeria Khan (34) and Nain Abidi (16) batted well and victory was assured as Pakistan won by 9 wickets. Pakistan reach the Trophy Final, while Ireland go into the 3rd/4th Trophy play off.
Winning captain Sana Mir was very happy with the win, 'We bowled and fielded really well today and are really pleased going into the final with this confidence and performance. The conditions are different to what we have been used to here, which makes today even more pleasing.'
Captain Isobel Joyce was disappointed with her team's performance, 'We are disappointed with our batting today and losing early wickets, but Pakistan are a very professional team and did their job. Ahead of the next match we need to get our confidence back amongst our batters and re-assess a few things.'
- Lucy O'Reilly warms up
- A close call for Kim Garth
- A close call for Lucy O'Reilly
- A superb 38 not out for 17 year old Kim Garth
- Cecelia Joyce pushes one to point
- Eimear Richardson is clean bowled by Bismah Maroof for 4 runs
- Ensuring the equipment is in pristine condition
- Ireland openers Isobel Joyce and Clare Shillington, take the field
- Irish captain Isobel Joyce
- Irish coach Jeremy Bray in pensive mood
- Kim Garth on her way to a fine 38 not out
- Laura Delany stumped for four
- Match umpires Nigel Duguid and Ian Ramage take the field
- Melissa Scott-Hayward in action
- Melissa Scott-Hayward out for a duck
- Nahida Khan and Qanita Jalil celebrate the wicket of Clare Shillington
- No pre match nerves for Isobel Joyce
- Pakistan celebrate as Shillington's run out for 5
- Pakistan coach Mauhtashim Rasheed warms up his players
- Pakistan win the toss and field
- Nahida Khan warms up
- Qanita Jalil celebrates
- Nick Pink
- Sadia Yousaf receives Player of the Match from Warren Deutrom
- Shillington out for 5
- Isobel Joyce and Sana Mir
- Limbering up
- Captains with Dev Govindjee
- Dev Govindjee, Ian Ramage and Kathy Cross inspect the ground
- Tournament referee Dev Govindjee