Ireland lose T20 to Scotland
In a hard-fought and generally low-scoring Twenty20 competition on the tournament's opening day all three teams finished with a win and a defeat, but it was the Dutch hosts who came out on top on net run rate, thanks to a comfortable victory over Scotland.
Scotland had caused an initial upset by beating Ireland in the first game of the day, after Irish skipper Isobel Joyce had elected to bat after winning the toss.
Ireland's batters found the damp conditions difficult against a steady Scottish attack, and battled their way to 72 before they were dismissed in exactly 18 overs, only Joyce herself, with an enterprising 28-ball 29, gaining any real measure of control.
Keeper Mary Waldron (16) was the only other Irishwoman to reach double figures, while Kari Anderson with three for 20 was the most successful of the Scottish bowlers. There were two wickets apiece for Kathryn White, Leigh Kasperek (whose four overs cost just six runs) and Lois Wilkinson.
Scotland found scoring equally difficult, with Kim Garth taking one for 4 for Ireland in her four overs and Amy Kenealy claiming two for 12.
White top-scored with 23, but when she became Joyce's third victim (for just 7 runs) the Scots faced an uphill battle.
Nine were still needed from the last two overs, but Fiona Urquhart took some of the pressure off with some calculated strokeplay, and in the end Scotland managed to take the winning single off the very last ball of the game, with two wickets in hand.
- Kathryn White bowling
- Kim Garth looks at the ruin of het wicket
- Isobel Joyce plays a fine cover drive
- Emma Flanagan plays high to Urqhart...
- ...who takes an easy catch
- Shauna Kavanagh loops the ball to Sahar Aslam at extra
- Mary Waldron is taken by the spin
- Kai Anderson bowling
- Waldron plays at a wide ball
- Waldron dives into safety
- A classic straight drive by Waldron
- Joyce plays to leg
- Waldron gets over a rising ball
- Louise McCarthy is deceived by a bit of turn
- Joyce turns to leg
- Kari Anderson traps McCarthy in front
- Waldron plays past point
- Waldron goes over the top...
- ...but is caught by White at deep mid off
- Laura Cullen is bowled by Anderson
- Ami Kanealy pulls for a couple
- Elena Tice reaches out
- Kim Garth bowling
- Charlotte Bascombe plays high to cover and is caught by Kevenagh
- Dianne Pedgrift edges Garth to keeper Waldron
- Kathryn White plays a cover drive
- A well timed pull shot by White
- Anderson cuts late
- Anderson is bowled by Joyce
- White on the drive
- Samantha Haggo plays high over mid on
- White Goes for the big one
- Wilkinson drives past point
- Fiona Urqhart tries to up the tempo
- Wilkinson is bowled by Delany
- With an inside edge through her legs Sarah Aslam scores the winning runs
- Fiona Urqhart's smile says it all; a good win by Scotland