Ireland claim Twenty20 title
Ireland followed up their victory in the 50 over Senior Women's European Championships by winning the inaugural Twenty20 event at Rathmines.
They defeated The Netherlands in the title decider, chasing down what could have been a challenging Dutch total of 115 for 6, to win by nine wickets with 6.3 overs to spare.
Clare Shillington hit an unbeaten 58 from 49 balls, striking eight fours and a six. The Netherlands were made to pay for dropping her of the very first ball of the Irish innings, which could have changed the complexion of the tie completely.
Shillington played some lovely strokes, being particularly strong through the covers and square of the wicket initially, before favouring the square leg and midwicket regions later in her innings.
Isobel Joyce and Shillington put on a rapid 56 in six overs, with Joyce making a rapid 35 from just 18 balls. She hit three fours and two consecutive sixes over deep midwicket off Annemarie Tanke, who finished with 0 for 30 from her two overs, suffering from that missed opportunity.
Once Joyce went, caught at short midwicket pulling Mandy Kornet, Shillington grasped the mantle and dominated a stand of 60 in seven overs with Cecelia Joyce whose share was just an unbeaten seven.
Kornet (1-17 off 4), was the only Dutch bowler to escape the carnage, bowling with great accuracy and determination, albeit in a losing cause.
In the Netherlands total of 115 for 6, the main partnerships was 60 between Marijn Nijman (29*), and Miranda Veringmeier (27), for the fifth wicket, taking their side from a precarious 53 for 4 to 113 for 5.
The pair played some powerful strokes, particularly down the ground, and both ran very well putting the Irish fielders under pressure.
They were given good support by Annemarie Tanke (20), and Violet Wattenberg (15). The pick of the Irish bowlers were Amy Kenealy (2-19), and Eimear Richardson (2-20).
- Eimear Richardson opened the bowling
- Cheraldine Odoulf is bowled
- Ireland celebrate
- Annemarie Tanke survives a stumping attempt first ball
- Appeal by Jill Whelan
- Boundary for Tanke
- Applauded by her team mates
- A rueful Eimear Richardson
- Hit away by Violet Wattenberg
- Defended by Wattenberg
- Netherlands supporters
- Runs for Wattenberg
- Ireland celebrate the stumping of Tanke
- Ciara Metcalfe bowling
- Driven down the ground by Marijn Nijman
- Return to Amy Kenealy
- Appeal by Amy Kenealy..
- ..the appeal continues
- Future Ireland opening bowler like his dad? Charlie Johnston
- Future Ireland opening batsman?
- Pushed away by Marijn Nijman
- More celebrations
- Boundary for Miranda Veringmeier
- Miranda Veringmeier
- Well taken by Valmai Gee
- Straight drive by Veringmeier
- Miranda Veringmeier and Marijn Nijman who added 60
- Veringmeier is stumped by Gee
- Runs for Mandy Kornet
- Heather Whelan gets a run out
- Nijman congratulated by Tanke
- Arthur Vincent and Clarissa Pilkington
- Boundary for Isobel Joyce
- Good take by Violet Wattenberg
- Boundary for Clare Shillington
- Joliet Hartenhof
- Single for Joyce
- Six hit for Cecelia Joyce..
- ..and another the very next ball
- Punched into the covers by Clare Shillington
- Brouwers and Kornet celebrate
- The celebrations continue
- Applause for Isobel Joyce
- Clare Shillington
- Cecelia Joyce
- Single for Cecelia Joyce
- Cecelia Joyce and Clare Shillington
- Hit away by Shillington
- Six hit signalled by Bevers
- The winning hit by Clare Shillington
- The players leave the field
- Clare Shillington congratulated by Ciara Metcalfe