Ireland comprehensive winners against Scotland
Ireland cruised to the most comprehensive of victories with a ten wicket win over old rivals Scotland in the opening game of the European Women's Championships at Clontarf.
Chasing a relatively modest 86 for the win, the Irish opening pair of Cecelia Joyce and Eimear Richardson were ruthless, knocking off the runs in just 14.3 overs with the minimum of fuss.
Joyce struck some lovely cover drives, and was particularly severe on anything remotely short, striking seven boundaries in her unbeaten 41 from 43 balls.
Richardson was equally impressive, favouring the midwicket areas, again finding the boundary ropes with regularity as too often the youthful Scottish attack strayed in length and line. Richardson finished unbeaten on 33 from 50 deliveries, striking 6 fours.
Earlier in the day Scotland had battled against a tight and impressive Irish bowling display, making 85 from 47.5 overs. They had looked destined to post a total well in excess of 100, but the dismissal of their talismanic skipper Kari Anderson for 29 with the total on 62 for 4, heralded a dramatic collapse.
Anderson leg glanced Amy Kenealy to Valmai Gee, who took a superb catch standing up to the stumps. The same combination accounted for Fiona Urquhart for just a single, before Eimear Richardson took centre stage.
The tall off-spinner accounted for Catherine Smaill, Caroline Sweetman, Lynne Dixon and Lorna Jack in quick succession, to finish with the excellent analysis of 4 for 10 in her eight over spell. That coupled with her batting, was more than enough to assure her of the adjudicators verdict in the Player of the Match Award.
Leigh Kasperek (10), was the only other Scottish batter to reach double figures, playing some lovely square cuts, before being brilliantly run out by a direct hit from Jill Whelan.
Unfortunately for Scotland, the tone of their innings was set as early as the first over the day, when their powerful opener Kathryn White hit a Heather Whelan full toss tamely to cover. Whelan also finished off the innings, trapping Abbi Aitken lbw for one.
All of the Irish bowlers stuck to their task well, giving the Scottish batters very little in the way of width, and backed up by enthusiastic fielding, they kept the pressure on at all times. Although Isobel Joyce, Melissa Scott -Hayward, and Marianne Herbert didn't take a wicket, they bowled with great discipline.
The successful wicket takers for Ireland were Eimear Richardson (4-10), Amy Kenealy (2-6), Heather Whelan (2-13), and Jill Whelan (1-16).
- Captains Heather Whelan and Kari Anderson
- The umpires and Tournament referee Richard Cox
- The ground staff worked hard to ensure a prompt start
- Heather Whelan bowling
- Jill Whelan catches Kathryn White
- Ireland celebrate the wicket
- Kari Anderson batting
- Isobel Joyce
- Heather Whelan
- Isobel Joyce bowling
- Hats off for Kari Anderson
- Runs for Anderson
- Kari Anderson survives the run out attempt
- Single for Charlotte Bascombe
- Netherlands watching the game
- Jill Whelan thinks she has the wicket
- Chipped away by Anderson
- Just past Marianne Herbert
- Kari Anderson is bowled by Marianne Herbert..
- ..Ireland celebrate but it was a free hit
- Charlotte Bascombe can't believe she's out
- Ireland celebrate the wicket
- Marianne Herbert bowling
- Fiona Urquart batting
- Appeal by Jill Whelan
- Defended by Fiona Urquart
- Just past the edge
- Quick change around from Ireland
- Mac Wylie, Richard Holdsworth and Richard Cox
- Marianne Herbert bowled well but without much luck
- Cover driven for four
- Ball just beats the fielders
- Kari Anderson is dismissed
- A rueful Kari Anderson departs
- Amy Kenealy bowling
- Played to leg by Caroline Sweetman
- Runs for Catherine Smaill
- Pushed to off by Sweetman
- Enjoying the game
- Eimear Richardson
- Played into the off side
- Eimear Richardson bowling
- Caroline Sweetman bowled
- Catherine Smaill hits into the off side
- Appeal by Amy Kenealy
- Ireland happy
- Attacking field
- Struck away by Smaill
- Scotland applaud the boundary
- Skied by Aslam
- Return to Gee
- Appeal for a run out
- Smaill is stumped by Gee
- Heather Whelan traps Abbi Aitken lbw
- Heather Whelan congratulated
- Unable to prevent the boundary
- Eimear Richardson batting
- Leigh Kasperek bowling
- Runs for Eimear Richardson
- Abbi Aitken bowling
- Despairing dive
- Boundary for Cecelia Joyce
- Leigh Kasperek
- Charlotte Bascombe
- Boundary for Richardson
- Fiona Urquart bowling
- Joyce struck on the pad
- Pulled to the boundary
- Cecelia Joyce avoids a beamer
- Played to leg by Richardson
- Kari Anderson appeals for lbw
- Played through midwicket
- Wide signalled by Sanjeev Kad
- Belted for four by Eimear Richardson
- Hit away by Cecelia Joyce
- In hot pursuit
- Throw to that end shouts Kari Anderson
- irish openers Eimear Richardson and Cecelia Joyce after an unbroken stand of 86
- Handshakes all around
- Ground staff get to work preparing