CricketEurope Ireland logo
2019 Miscellaneous
News & Reports Photos Audio

2019 StatsZones
2019 Premier League
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

This was the first game between Ireland and Scotland since 1890, but neither side was at full strength. Scotland had only two of the players who had almost defeated the Australians three weeks previously and KG McLeod and JH Bruce-Lockhart were also unable to play. Bud Hamilton, TC Ross, GWF Kelly and SD Lambert all cried off the team as originally selected to play for Ireland. They were replaced by Bourchier, P Murphy, Napper and JW Flood. In this game W. Pollock made his debut for Ireland while HH Corley bade farewell to the international scene.

The game resulted in a big win for Scotland, by an innings and 132 runs. The game was played at the North Inch ground; the wicket was good; the attendance was moderate at the start but improved after lunch. Scotland won the toss and scored 239-4 in the day's play. There was a break between 3 and 5 p.m. while rain fell and after some more play rain again fell and the game was abandoned for the day. A very gusty wind and a wet ball made bowling and fielding very difficult. Several lofty catches went astray owing to the ball being blown out of the fielders reach at the last moment.

Balfour-Melville and Anderson opened against the bowling of Harrington and Murphy. Both batsmen hit very hard and 50 was up in 25 minutes. Melville reached his personal 50 in 45 minutes. The bowling had failed completely while the fielding was not too good. Just before lunch Anderson got a nasty knock on the body from Lambert. After lunch there were about 1000 people present. The score had reached 111 before Anderson was out for 31, caught by Browning behind the wicket off Lambert. Tait joined Balfour-Melville and the scoring rate continued at a high tempo until just after 3 p.m. when Balfour-Melville was stumped for a fast and excellent 91. 153-2. Duncan joined Tait but heavy rain came on and delayed play for two hours. Shortly after the resumption Tait, 47, was neatly stumped by Browning off Lambert. 195-3. Murphy had Jupp caught for 14 when the score was 216-4. Duncan, 30, and Murray, 17, were together at the close of play.

On the second day the Irish bowling was completely collared and Scotland added a further 246 at a very fast pace. The weather was broken and there was only 10 minutes play before lunch. In that time Lambert bowled Duncan for 31. 241-5. Webster and Murray scored very quickly until Murray ran himself out for 34. 271-6. Thorburn joined Webster and now the Irish bowling really suffered although the fielding was good. Webster was very severe on Lambert and he drove Harrington out of the ground for 6. At 300 Pollock was given a turn but he conceded 21 runs, mostly to Thorburn, in four overs. Napper came back at 359 and with his fourth ball he had Webster caught by Lambert at slip for 65 and with his last ball had Frazer out in the same manner without scoring. R Gardiner came in and made 17 of his first five balls. He eventually became Browning's fourth victim behind the wicket after making a merry 28. 399-9. Then came the greatest blow of all for Thorburn and Chapel added 86 for the last wicket. In despair LA Meldon was given an over and he got Chapel caught for 36 leaving Thorburn with 90 not out. Eight

Scottish batsmen had all got over 30 each, 10 got double figures and the unfortunate Frazer had got a "duck". Lambert bowled 50 overs and took 3-137. Poor old Harrington conceded 107 runs in 27 overs and failed to get a wicket.

Before the close of play Ireland had lost four wickets for 78. Chapel and Jupp opened the bowling to GJ Meldon and Bourchier. The latter was bowled by Jupp at six while Meldon was bowled by Chapel at 22. 10 runs later Pollock was caught at the wicket for four off Chapel. LA Meldon and Lambert batted very cautiously but just before play ended Meldon, 31, was caught at the wicket off Webster. 78-4-31. Lambert was 19 not out.

The third day brought a Scottish victory by a big margin and placed their cricket in a stronger light than it had hitherto been seen. Nearly 4000 people were present in the afternoon to see the home team win. Lambert and Corley resumed. Corley was bowled for three at 93 and at 109 Lambert also fell to Chapel for 36. This was the top score of the Irish innings. Tait magnificently held Browning at cover, at 126, and Napper was bowled by Frazer five runs later. Harrington and Flood put a better face on things. Chapel came back and dismissed Flood in his first over for 16. Just before lunch Gardiner caught Harrington behind the wicket off Frazer for 28. Fast bowler Chapel took 5-59 in 18 overs while Frazer bowled 15.5 overs for 26 runs and three wickets.

Following-on Bourchier and G.J.Meldon opened to Chapel and Frazer. Bourchier, 2, was caught at the wicket off Chapel at 5. Meldon batted well and he and Pollock took the score to 54 before the former was caught off Jupp for 41. L.A.Meldon was out cheaply. Then Lambert and Pollock made a great attempt to play out time. Both stonewalled and Lambert stayed 2 hours for his 42 while Pollock stayed over three hours for his 47. Both fell to Frazer and the last five wickets gave no trouble, Frazer taking five of the last seven wickets for very few runs. In all he finished with 5-50 in 23 overs. Scotland had 30 minutes to spare but Ireland should have drawn and the blame must lie on the middle batsmen for not carrying on where Pollock and Lambert left off.

When Lambert had scored 11 in his first innings of 36 he completed 1000 runs for Ireland. It was his 44th innings and 28th match.