Ireland were well beaten by Bangladesh in the fourth game of the Walton Tri Nation series at Malahide after the Tigers left the Dublin venue with a convincing 8-wicket victory.
It was the second defeat in the series for William Porterfield's side but having posted just 181 all out in their innings, the hosts had little to work with against quality opposition.
Losing Paul Stirling in just the second over of the day was hardly the ideal start; the Ireland opener the first of four wickets for Man-of-the-Match Mustafizur Rahman (4-23).
Porterfield and Joyce repaired some of the damage with a 37-run stand before the skipper was caught and bowled by Mosaddek Hossain for 22.
Joyce stood firm despite losing Andy Balbirnie for 12; putting on a half century partnership with man-in-form Niall O'Brien for the fourth wicket. Once both batsmen fell in quick succession however, Ireland were back in trouble.
O'Brien was first to go having made 30- Rahman again the bowler- before Joyce (46) was caught in the deep by Tamim Iqbal.
George Dockrell (25) fared best of the rest after that although Gary Wilson was distinctly unlucky to be given out caught behind as Rahman completed his superb spell.
A final total of 181 seemed well below par and so it proved as Tamim and Soumya Sarkar set about the reply. The pair looked far too comfortable against the Irish attack and seemed set to chase down the total on their own before Kevin O'Brien claimed his 99th ODI wicket having Tamim caught behind by Niall for 47 (6 fours).
Soumya and Sabbir Rahman picked it up from there however and fairly raced to a 76-run stand that took Bangladesh to the cusp of victory. Barry McCarthy claimed the wicket of Sabbir, caught by George Dockrell for 35 (3 fours and a six) just before the end, but it was scant consolation in the grander scheme of things.
Sarkar was still there when the winning runs were scored, unbeaten on 87 (11 fours, 2 sixes) as the Tigers won with almost 23 overs to spare.
Ireland can only hope for a much more positive showing when they complete their programme against New Zealand on Sunday 21 May.
- Ed Joyce solid defence
- Down the ground by Ed Joyce
- Edge from Paul Stirling flies to slip.
- ...and is held by Sabbir Rahman
- Sabbir is congratulated
- ..and so is bowler Mustafizur
- Mosaddek Hossain drops a sitter.
- ...and it hits the ground
- Hossain has his revenge - Porterfield ct & bowled
- Looks good from Andy Balbirnie but he has been bowled.
- Niall O'Brien is dropped behind
- Paddle sweep from Niall O'Brien
- Big Six from Niall O'Brien
- Ed Joyce down the pitch and survives the appeal
- Niall O'Brien uppercuts to third man and is caught
- Just a slap from Ed Joyce and he is caught at long on....
- ..and the fielders are pleased about that
- Congratulations for the bowler Mustafizur
- Out of control Kevin O'Brien skies one to cover.....
- ...and a brilliant catch running in by Mossaddek Hossain
- ..who is rightly pleased with his effort
- Down the leg side to Gary Wilson - off the hip?
- ..a disappointed Gary at being given out.
- Down to third man by George Dockrell
- Barry McCarthy is given lbw sweeping
- A swing and an edge from Dockrell
- Peter Chase edges behind....
- ...and another good catch ends the Irish innings.
- Peter Chase leaps into action
- Full follow through from Peter Chase
- Paul Stirling grits his teeth
- Tamim Iqbal drives
- Tamim Iqbal shovels one round the corner
- Kevin O'Brien insists on the decision
- Barry McCarthy in full flow
- George Dockrell catches Sabbir Rahman
- Pat on the back for Sabbir from Soumya Sarkar
- Winning run tucked away by Mushfiqur Rahim