CricketEurope Ireland logo
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

The 1907 South African team revolutionised cricket because four of the bowlers bowled the perfect googly. Bosanquet had shown this ball to Schwartz who, in turn, instructed Vogler, Faulkner and White. The summer was very wet and this fact greatly assisted this brilliant quartet. Schwartz, who bowled only googlies, headed the English bowling averages with 137 wickets at 11.79 runs each. Vogler, whom RE Foster described as the best bowler in the world, took 119 wickets at 15.62 runs each bowling both leg breaks and googlies. All four came off the wicket at a very fast pace. If the South African batting had been a little stronger they might have won their first test match in England in 1907 instead of having to wait until 1935. England won one test and the other two were drawn. The touring team in all lost only four out of 27 first-class matches. Sherwell, the captain, Sinclair, White and Tancred did not play against Ireland but the bowling of Vogler, Schwartz and Faulkner was altogether too much for our batsmen. Of the Irish team selected for this match O Andrews and Sir TC O'Brien who had been invited to play were unable to do so. Also WH Napper withdrew and he was replaced by HH Corley.

The South Africans won the toss and, as in many other games, began indifferently, losing five wickets for 81. Shalders and SD Snooke opened the innings to Ross and Harrington's bowling. Shalders was bowled by Harrington for 25 with the score on 29 and six runs later Snooke was LBW to Ross for seven. At 45 Nourse was bowled by Harrington. 50 came up in only 40 minutes despite the loss of wickets and at 53 SJ Snooke was caught by Lambert at cover for four. Faulkner and Hathorn were now together and both had lucky survivals. The run getting rate increased still further but at 81 Faulkner in trying to pull Ross was caught at mid-on. Vogler came in and 100 went up in only 70 minutes. The sixth wicket fell at 114 when Vogler, 23, was out to a magnificent boundary catch by Crawfurd off Harrington. Schwartz joined Hathorn and at 126 Lambert and Kelly replaced Harrington and Ross. No more wickets fell before lunch, when the score was 149-6, although Schwartz was nearly run out. There was a 20 minute break for rain in the early afternoon and immediately after the resumption Schwartz was caught at mid-off for 23. 169-7-23. The partnership had added 55 in an hour. Hathorn reached his 50 but lost HE Smith, bowled by Ross, at 187. When the Rev CD Robinson came in the 200 came up in 140 minutes. The ninth wicket added 31 before Robinson was caught at the wicket off Kelly for 15. Kotze was bowled by Ross for 0 and the innings closed at 4:25 p.m. for 218. Hathorn made 73 not out in 105 minutes hitting nine fours. The South African batting had been pretty but the Irish bowling and fielding accomplished all that might reasonably have been expected of them. The day was very warm and the pitch fast.

GJ Meldon and Crawfurd opened the Irish innings. The bowling was in the hands of Kotze, who was very fast, and Schwartz. Crawfurd was bowled by Schwartz at seven. There was a 15 minute break for rain. At 27 Meldon ran himself out for eight. Then Hamilton, of whom much was expected, opened with a four off Vogler but was caught at slip next ball. 33-3-4. Hamilton had not played for Ireland since the South African visit of 1901 and this present game was, in fact, his last in international cricket. Lambert and Browning battled well and added 28 before the close of play which came with the score at 61-3, Lambert 20 and Browning eight.

There was heavy rain on the second morning. The pitch, as a result, was very dead. A start was made at 11:45 a.m. but after only eight balls were bowled the players had to come in again. After an hour two further balls were bowled and then there was more rain. At 2:15 p.m. another attempt was made. Schwartz and Vogler bowled and runs came steadily to a widespread field. Faulkner came on and Vogler changed ends. After 105 minutes actual play 100 went up. Twice in succession Lambert cut Vogler to the boundary, the second bringing up his 50. However, when he reached 51 Vogler shattered his stumps. 108-4-51. The wicket had added 75 and Lambert had batted finely giving no chance. Ross came in and hit Kotze in the eye off a hit to mid-off. The wound had to be stitched. Runs continued to come quickly and the score was taken to 132-4.

A collapse followed and the side was all out for 153. Vogler had Ross caught and soon he bowled SC Smith. Next ball Morrow was also clean bowled. 142-7-0. Browning was bowled by Faulkner at 144 after making 41. It was not in Browning's finest style but the bowling was very accurate. He was in for two hours. Harrington and Corley were the last two wickets to fall. The 153 total had occupied 165 minutes. Vogler had fiddled out the Irish men who had made the mistake of playing a game they did not understand, that of playing "for keeps". But the South African bowling, particularly Vogler, had been very good. It was different and original and no wonder our men could not cope with it. Vogler today looked like a magician.

The South African second innings started badly. Harrington hit SD Snooke's middle stump at five and Nourse was caught off Ross at 16. Shalders and Faulkner hit out and 45 minutes play saw 50 up. Lambert and Kelly were brought on but Shalders continued his merry, if lucky, way. Harrington came back and at 73 had Faulkner, 28, finely held in the outfield by Morrow. At 90 Shalders was bowled by Lambert for 48. SJ Snooke, six, and Hathorn, four, were the not out batsmen at close of play when the score was 97-4. A contemporary report criticises Faulkner's pad-play which it said was against the spirit of the game, the rule notwithstanding!

The third day was a sad story so far as the Irish batting was concerned, although the bowlers did well to get the remaining South African wickets for 65 runs. Harrington was the chief agent bowling splendidly on what was not a bowlers wicket. The Irish task of getting 228 to win was not light but not impossible. However they never looked like accomplishing it and the display was most disappointing. Heavy rain fell just after stumps were drawn so the South Africans won in the nick of time. S.J.Snooke and Hathorn resumed. 100 went up in 105 minutes. 14 runs later Hathorn was LBW to Ross and in Harrington's next over Snooke was caught one-handed by Hamilton at extra-cover. 118-6-23. Vogler bore a charmed life but Harrington and Lambert quickly ended the innings once Schwartz had been dismissed at 153. Kotze was unable to bat.

Crawfurd and Meldon began for Ireland. Schwartz bowled Crawfurd with his first ball. Lambert came in and the score rose quickly but at 33 Meldon was caught at silly point off Faulkner. At 34 Lambert was caught at slip by Vogler after Schwartz had missed the catch but succeeded in pushing the ball to his team mate. At 38 Smith was bowled by Faulkner. Corley came in but was bowled by the first ball of Schwartz's next over and, two balls later, Hamilton was stumped 39-6-0. At lunch the score was 46-6. In the dull light Ross and Browning played well for a while but at 68 Browning was caught and bowled by Faulkner for seven, his first single figure innings for Ireland since 1902. Since then he had a run of 15 double figure innings. Morrow "bagged a pair" being bowled by Schwartz who had now exactly 100 wickets in first-class matches on the tour. At 76 Harrington was stumped off Faulkner who, next ball, bowled Kelly. Schwartz (14-3-20-4) and Faulkner (15-4-39-6) bowled unchanged. The innings lasted 100 minutes.

The gross receipts were 350. This was Bud Hamilton's last match. He had first played in 1891. In his 19 games he took 95 wickets at 15.18 runs each.

College Park, Dublin