CricketEurope Ireland logo
2019 Miscellaneous
News & Reports Photos Audio

2019 StatsZones
2019 Premier League
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

This match was the first to be played on Stanley Cochrane's new ground at Woodbrook, Bray. It was a beautiful ground on which money and attention were not spared. All expenses of the game were born by Cochrane and 6d was the admission charge. Yorkshire's guarantee was 100 or half of the gross gate, whichever was the larger. Unfortunately the weather was bad for the match and the attendance was low. Yorkshire had been Champions in 1905 and 1906 and were destined to be joint runners-up with Worcestershire in 1907. They brought their strongest team to Bray and won by an innings. Ireland fielded its strongest team and nobody cried off from the original selection.

On the first day there was a wind and rain which brought continued interruptions so there was only three hours play in all. Yorkshire won the toss and scored 153-4. The pitch was soft and no batsmen really warmed to the job. The wonder is that the cricket should have been as good as it was. The Irish bowling and fielding was steady and reliable. Tunnicliffe and Rhodes began for Yorkshire to the bowling of Donovan and Ross. At 12 Ross beat Rhodes and hit the wicket but the bails did not fall off! At 25 Rhodes misjudged a cut and was bowled by Donovan for 10. Denton came in and soon rain caused a break. Harrington had arrived late but with his first ball he got Tunnicliffe out, "played on". 47-2-26. Lunch was not taken until 2:30 p.m. when the score was 93-2 with both Denton and Kaye batting safely. Rain delayed a resumption to 3:30 p.m. 100 went up in 90 minutes. Kaye was bowled by Lambert at 117 after making a patient 24. G. H.Hirst was nearly caught in the slips off Harrington for 0. Then came more rain. At 5 p.m. play was resumed. Runs came quickly but Harrington bowled Hirst for 13. 142-4-13. With Wilson in Denton reached his 50 in 90 minutes. At 5:40 p.m. more rain finished play for the day with the score on 153-4, Denton 58 Wilson 2.

The wind had died down by the second morning. There were two showers during the day but it was much better than the first day. Yorkshire were all out at lunch for 292. Of this Denton made a perfectly compiled 149. It was not a brilliant innings but a finished display of art. His timing and placing were perfect and he scored mainly on the leg side. Wilson was out for four at 170. Haigh, 12, helped Denton put on 51 for the sixth wicket in 45 minutes. Denton reached his century in three hours and then Haigh was beautifully caught by Meldon at deep long-on. Myers helped to add a further 19 and then came Lord Hawke. 44 runs were added. GWF Kelly was then brought on to bowl for the first-time. His late arrival at the bowling crease can only be put down to a temporary mental aberration on the part of the Irish captain. Off the last ball of his first over Denton gave an easy catch to Crawfurd at mid-off. Kelly then had Hawke caught at extra cover and he bowled Deyes for 0. In 2.5 overs he had taken 3-9. The 292 runs scored by Yorkshire had taken 300 minutes.

Hirst and Rhodes opened the Yorkshire bowling to Crawfurd and JM Magee. Crawfurd was caught at the wicket off Hirst's first ball. Lambert hit a quick 13 and was then stumped off Rhodes. Meldon joined Magee and after a break for rain both batted well until Magee was bowled trying to pull Rhodes. 44-3-12. Rhodes missed Meldon of a fast return catch but Hirst bowled Browning at 63 and Harman met the same fate two balls later. Ross hit Rhodes for a six

but was out next ball caught at mid-off. Kelly sent his first ball gently to Haigh at cover. 80-7-0. O'Brien came in and the bowling was changed from the first time, Haigh replacing Hirst. At tea the score was 83-7. O'Brien ran Meldon out at 93. Meldon had made 34 in 1 hours. O'Brien was bowled for 10 and with Donovan, the number 11, in the 100 went up in 2 hours. Myers relieved Rhodes and bowled Harrington with his fourth ball. Ireland were 190 behind and play ended for the day.

A gale blew on the third day although the weather was fine. The wicket had dried and was playing faster than previously. Ireland followed on and although Crawfurd and Magee put on 24 for the first wicket, there were four wickets down for 56. O'Brien came in at number six to join Browning and the aspect changed. There was a stand of 72 before Browning was out for an admirable 40. Harman did not last long but Ross stayed while a further 35 were put on. He was bowled for 19 with the score on 176. Deyes, who had dismissed Ross, then went on to do the hat-trick by bowling Harrington and getting Kelly LBW with his next two balls. Donovan joined O'Brien with 14 required to make Yorkshire bat again. Four overs realised 13 of these runs but then Hirst came on for Haigh and bowled Donovan with his first ball. Sir T.C.O'Brien had made 60 not out in 90 minutes. He was now almost 46 years of age and this was his last innings for Ireland. He had batted most correctly but had not lost the art of hard-hitting. Deyes, who had not bowled in the first innings, took 6-62 including the hat-trick. He was a fast bowler who varied his pace.

Woodbrook, County Wicklow