Ed Joyce and Kevin O'Brien shared a superb 4th wicket partnership of 144 to lead Ireland to a six wicket victory over Afghanistan at Stormont.
Chasing 237 for victory, Ireland lost early wickets to be reeling at 29 for 3, but the pair showed all their experience in a stand which was the highest for Ireland in a home one-day international.
There was no repeat of the batting collapse which had handed Afghanistan the win on Tuesday, as Joyce, O'Brien and Paul Stirling all batted with great composure in a nerveless run chase.
After winning the toss and batting Mohammad Shahzad held together the Afghan innings again as the pugnacious opener showed his class with 10 fours in his 81.
Early wickets for Barry McCarthy, Kevin O'Brien and Andy McBrine meant that the visitors didn't get too far away before a 76-run stand between Shahzad and his skipper Stanikzai (33) gave their innings some impetus in the middle overs.
Shahzad's effort was ended by Peter Chase however runs down the order from Mohammad Nabi (40) and Rashid Khan (24) dragged Afghanistan to 236 before the last wicket fell at the start of the 50th over.
O'Brien and McCarthy who shared eight wickets in Tuesday's defeat split six more here; the former with 3-28 and McCarthy 3-57; while Chase returned 2-68. McBrine (1-22) was also on the scoresheet while Tim Murtagh (1-31 from 10) was again impressive with the new ball.
Things looked ominous again for the home team after skipper William Porterfield (1) and Sean Terry (3) were both dismissed early by Hamid Hassan (2-21), and when Nabi dismissed Stuart Poynter, Ireland were in deep trouble.
Cometh the hour, cometh Joyce and O'Brien however and the pair batted together for 29 overs to restore order.
Their partnership was finally broken when Dawlat Zadran had O'Brien caught by namesake, Najibullah for 75 (10 fours) but Joyce went to and beyond his century as he and Paul Stirling did the rest. The Sussex batsman hit 8 fours and a six on his way to an unbeaten 105 with Stirling adding 39 not out (5 fours) at the other end.
It was Joyce's third ODI century - his 8th overall for Ireland - following hundreds against Pakistan in Dublin and Zimbabwe in Hobart.
It was a morale-boosting win for John Bracewell's charges and it set up Sunday's penultimate game nicely insofar as the series itself is concerned.
- Captains at the toss with David Jukes and Alan Neill
- Afghanistan win toss and bat
- Media get set up
- Ireland team sheet
- Afghan team sheet
- Debutant Sean Terry
- Cap Number 695 Sean Terry presented with his cap by William Porterfield
- Ian Ramage congratulates Roland Black on his ODI debut
- Ian Ramage and Roly Black take the field
- Barry McCarthy bowling
- Tim Murtagh
- The Green Berets
- Past the edge
- Peter Chase
- Rahmat batting
- Square cut by Shahzad
- Boundary for Shahzad
- O'Brien appeals as Poynter catches Rahmat
- Successful appeal by Kevin O'Brien
- Shahzad improvises
- Past the edge
- Barry McCarthy dives in vain
- Driven by Shahzad
- Paul Stirling bowling
- Reverse sweep by Mohammad Shahzad
- Peter Chase congratulated
- Peter Chase roars with delight
- Fired up Peter Chase after dismissing Mohammad Shahzad
- Chance is spilled
- Barry McCarthy congratulated
- Short ball to Nabi
- Pulled by Mohammad Nabi
- Attempted run out
- Stuart Poynter appeals for the run out
- Paul Stirling tries for the run out
- Stuart Poynter gives chase
- William Porterfield waits on the return
- Stuart Poynter
- Tim Murtagh takes the catch
- Peter Chase signs an autograph
- Hamid Hassan batting
- Skied by Hamid Hassan...
- ..Paul Stirling takes the catch to end the innings
- Hamid can't prevent the boundary
- Boundary for Ed Joyce
- Mohammad Nabi bowling
- Cut by Ed Joyce
- Maureen and Joe Doherty
- Kevin O'Brien and Ed Joyce
- Boundary for Kevin O'Brien
- Happy faces in the Afghan camp
- More runs for Ed Joyce
- ED Joyce batting
- Powerful drive by Kevin O'Brien
- Kevin O'Brien
- Half century for Ed Joyce
- Kevin O'Brien gets his fifty
- Ed Joyce batting
- Hooked for six by Ed Joyce
- Introduction of spin
- Rashid bowling
- Single for Ed Joyce
- Paul Stirling batting
- Paul Stirling boundary
- Paul Stirling
- Pulled by Paul Stirling
- Swept by Paul Stirling
- Ed Joyce plays into the leg side
- Ed Joyce celebrates his hundred
- Ed Joyce and Paul Stirling come off the field after Ireland win by six wickets
- William Porterfield congratulates Ed Joyce
- More congratulations for Ed Joyce and Paul Stirling