SRI LANKA have drawn first blood in the first of their two-match KPC Group ODI series against Ireland after Angelo Matthews' men posted a 76-run (DLS) verdict at a rather damp Malahide on Thursday. The win came courtesy of a superb unbeaten century from Dinesh Chandimal and a five-wicket haul for ODI debutant, Dasun Shanaka.
Ahead of the game the hosts' Head Coach, John Bracewell, gave a nod to John Anderson after his scintillating start to the season at domestic level and also handed an International debut to bowler, Barry McCarthy.
Skipper, William Porterfield asked the visitors to have a bat on winning the toss, but Ireland were unable to split openers Kusal Perera and Danushka Gunathilaka early on until skipper William Porterfield brought McCarthy into the attack to replace Boyd Rankin.
The Durham man had Gunathilaka caught by Paul Stirling at slip from just his second delivery and then followed that up a couple of overs later by deceiving Perera (32) with a slower one that the batsman sent straight back to him.
An 82-run stand between Chandimal and Kusal Mendis got Sri Lanka back on track- Mendis making 51 (7 fours) before being caught and bowled by Kevin O'Brien.
Skipper Angelo Matthews joined Chandimal at that point and Ireland's bowlers continued to toil as this pair added another 88 before Matthews fell to Max Sorensen for 49.
New man Shanaka introduced himself by plundering 26 off Sorensen's next as the visitors upped the ante in the closing overs; however his 19-ball 42 was ended by a Rankin yorker.
The same bowler accounted for Seekkuge Prasanna a couple of balls later but Chandimal was proving much more resilient; going to his unbeaten century just two balls from the end.
The final total was 303 for 7 as Ireland managed to stay competitive late on- Rankin (2-45) and McCarthy (2-69) the pick of the home bowlers.
The reply started well with Porterfield and Stirling putting on 53 before the latter was dismissed by Shanaka for 27 (4 fours). The same bowler accounted for both Ed Joyce (9) and then Anderson (7), however the skipper continued to stand firm.
A 68-run partnership between him and Kevin O'Brien got Ireland up to 159 but with the rain around and the asking rate climbing, Porterfield mistimed a drive and was caught by Perera off Shaminda Eranga for 72 (7 fours).
Weather sent the teams off soon after and when they returned the target was 293 in 47- a tall order of 129 runs in little more than 14 overs.
That meant Ireland needed to pick up the pace and although O'Brien went past 50 soon after the re-start, Shanaka claimed his 4th wicket as he bowled Stuart Poynter for 20.
Gary Wilson was trapped lbw by Matthews before O'Brien's fine effort ended in similar fashion to Pradeep- the all-rounder's 64 (6 fours, 3 sixes) not quite enough to dig his team out of trouble.
Shanaka (5-43) was on the mark one more time as Ireland fell away to be eventually all out for 218, leaving Porterfield with it all to do to level the series on Saturday.
- John Mooney presents cap to debutant Barry McCarthy
- Debutant Barry McCarthy
- David Boon with captains William Porterfield and Angelo Matthews
- Dominic Cork with William Porterfield
- Minute's silence
- Cricket Ireland Presidents observe minute's silence
- Sri Lankan national anthem
- Ireland's call
- Barry McCarthy
- Barry McCarthy celebrates
- Delighted Barry McCarthy
- Barry McCarthy celebrates
- Barry McCarthy celebrates his first wicket for Ireland
- Barry McCarthy congratulated
- Barry McCarthy bowling
- Boyd Rankin
- Huge appeal by Boyd Rankin
- Boyd Rankin
- Gary Wilson
- Chandimal bowling
- Enjoying the prawn sandwiches
- Driven by Chandimal
- Paul Stirling
- Kevin O'Brien appeals
- Watching the game
- Wicket for Max Sorensen
- Max Sorensen congratulated
- Caught by Ed Joyce but over the rope
- Over the rope
- Sliced to third man
- Kevin O'Brien
- John Anderson fields
- Shanaka is bowled
- Bail goes flying as Shanaka is bowled by Rankin
- Prasana skies it
- Catch for John Anderson
- Boyd Rankin congratulated
- Played to leg
- Hooked by Chandimal
- Chandimal gives Murtagh a pat after reaching his hundred
- Hundred for Chandimal
- Chandimal century
- Chandimal acknowledges the applause
- Dinesh Chandimal gets his hundred
- Prasana bowling
- Paul Stirling is bowled
- Shanaka congratulated
- Ed Joyce plays to leg
- William Porterfield batting
- Angelo Matthews
- Well happed up
- Anxious look from Ed Joyce
- Dasun congratulated as Joyce departs
- Boundary for William Porterfield
- Steered by John Anderson
- Kevin O'Brien batting
- Six hit by Kevin O'Brien
- Kevin O'Brien on his way to 41 not out before the rain break
- William Porterfield and Kevin O'Brien
- Smiling Kevin O'Brien
- Diving stop
- Miscued by William Porterfield
- Look of horror from William Porterfield
- William Porterfield departs as the rain falls
- Boundary for Stuart Poynter
- Cut away by Kevin O'Brien
- Runs for Kevin O'Brien
- Stuart Poynter scored 20
- Boundary for Kevin O'Brien
- Kevin O'Brien congratulated by Stuart Poynter after reaching fifty
- Turned to leg by Kevin O'Brien
- Stuart Poynter surveys the damage
- Angelo Matthews congratulated
- Blankets were the order of the day
- Kevin O'Brien trapped lbw
- Kevin O'Brien departs
- Short ball to Barry McCarthy
- That's out says Mark Hawthorne
- Barry McCarthy departs
- Max Sorensen is bowled
- Shanaka celebrates his fifth wicket
- Tim Murtagh is stumped
- Man of the Match Danusa Shanaka
- Danusa Shanaka took 5 wickets to win MOM award