A Man of the Match performance from Gary Wilson helped Ireland to a comprehensive 48 run win against Uganda to take his team to the brink of automatic qualification for the ICC World Twenty20 finals in Bangladesh next March.
The win means Ireland top Group A with 11 points from 6 games *, and victory in their final match against tournament surprise package Hong Kong on Sunday, would see the team gain one of the two automatic slots reserved for the competition Group winners.
Wilson scored a brisk 40 from just 27 balls (3 fours, 1 six), providing the Irish innings with late impetus after they had been restricted very well by the quartet of Ugandan spinners.
Niall O'Brien scored 35 not out in a 4th wicket stand of 61 with Wilson, the pair coming together following the dismissal of Kevin O'Brien, caught on the long-on boundary for 14.
Skipper William Porterfield had continued his scintillating form, racing to 33 from just 17 balls (6 fours, 1 six), before being caught sweeping at square leg.
He had lost fellow opener Paul Stirling (16) to an athletic diving catch by Otim, running back at long on, after an opening stand of 35 in 28 balls.
A final total of 147 for 4 was always one which the Irish felt was defendable, and so it proved.
Tim Murtagh bowled a miserly opening spell, conceding just 7 runs in 3 overs, while Trent Johnston (1-28) removed opener Zariba with his third delivery, to visibly lift the Irish camp.
The introduction of the 'spin twins' George Dockrell and Paul Stirling saw the Ugandan reply stutter, and bowling in tandem the two strangled the life out of the Uganda run chase.
Dockrell (2-12) removed the dangerous Arthur Kyobe (18) with his second ball, well caught by Trent Johnston running back from square leg, and after that it was all about respectability for the African side. Kyobe, who had struck five sixes against Italy earlier in the week, was clearly rattled after being struck on the chin by Tim Murtagh, an injury which later required stitches.
Stirling (2-23) was also among the wickets, and with Max Sorensen (1-13) bowling with plenty of hostility, the Irish bowling unit never relinquished their stranglehold on the contest.
Saleh top scored with 21, while Mukobe (20) and skipper Nsubuga (19) all made contributions as they limped to 99 for 7 in their 20 overs.
* Match 5 in their Group matches v Italy was abandoned without a ball being bowled
- Waiswa bowling
- Boundary for Paul Stirling
- Paul Stirling scrambles home
- Crashed away by William Porterfield
- Six hit signalled
- Attempted stumping
- Leaping catch by Otim
- Otim holds the ball aloft
- William Porterfield takes on board fluids
- Niall O'Brien batting
- Single for Niall O'Brien
- View from the Presidential Box
- Driven by William Porterfield
- William Porterfield receives pat on the head from Niall O'Brien
- William Porterfield sweeps
- Swept by Kevin O'Brien
- Well flighted
- Down the ground from Kevin O'Brien
- Just makes his ground
- Skied by Kevin O'Brien
- Otim congratulated
- Kevin O'Brien departs
- Ssenyondo bowling
- Boundary for Gary Wilson
- Return to the keeper
- Attempted run out of Niall O'Brien
- Reprieve for Niall O'Brien
- Niall O'Brien scored 35
- Spin for Uganda
- Missed stumping
- Gary Wilson top scored with 40
- On driven by Niall O'Brien
- Gary Wilson
- Boundary for Wilson
- Six hit signalled
- Nsuguba bowling
- Catch taken on the boundary
- Niall O'Brien and John Mooney
- Uganda come off the field
- Tim Murtagh appeals
- Appeal continues from Tim Murtagh
- Driven back by Kyobe
- Wicket for Trent Johnston
- Trent Johnston congratulated
- Ireland celebrate the wicket
- Trent Johnston appeals
- Middle of the bat
- Square cut by Saleh
- Kyobe struck on the chin
- Kyobe gets treatment
- Pepsi truck
- Tim Murtagh bowling
- Kyobe batting
- Paul Stirling bowling
- Wicket for George Dockrell
- Ireland gather at the fall of the wicket
- Alex Cusack
- Gary Wilson waits on the return
- Paul Stirling took two wickets
- Catch taken by Alex Cusack
- Paul Stirling congratulated by William Porterfield
- Arthur Kyobe needed stitches
- Glanced fine by Mukobe
- Sprawling stop by Paul Stirling
- Congratulations for Paul Stirling
- Alex Cusack bowling
- Namibia watching
- Irish fans on the grass bank
- Max Sorensen bowling
- Crashed to the boundary
- Richard Okia is bowled by Max Sorensen
- Wicket for Max Sorensen
- Return to Trent Johnston
- Attempted pull shot
- Congratulations Ireland
- End of the game as Ireland win by 48 runs
- The spin twins - George Dockrell and Paul Stirling
- Gary Wilson receives MOM award from Dev Govindjee