A record breaking unbeaten 127 from Irish skipper William Porterfield inspired his side to a crushing 75 run win against USA in the sweltering desert heat of Abu Dhabi.
The win see Ireland top of the group, ahead of Hong Kong on run rate, and after a couple of narrow escapes at the weekend, this was much more like it from Phil Simmons' charges.
The Americans' skipper Neill McGarrell won the toss and invited William Porterfield to bat first but he was soon rueing his decision as the Irish openers totally dominated the early exchanges. Porterfield and Paul Stirling fairly raced along to a 94-run opening stand, the skipper in outstanding form before Stirling was bowled by Karan Ganesh for 25.
Kevin O'Brien then joined the fray and that pair added 44 before the Railway Union man fell for 18, followed soon after by Trent Johnston (7).
You sensed that the damage had been done by that point however as a well set Porterfield was joined by John Mooney with 151 runs in the bank and 27 deliveries still to come.
Try though they did the USA were unable to make further inroads as the Ireland captain stamped his authority over the innings and the game. Mooney found his form too as he made an unbeaten 32 off just 13 balls (2 fours, 2 sixes) but this was all about Porterfield.
The Warwickshire opener eventually finished 127 not out- an innings lasting 69 balls and containing 12 fours and 5 sixes. This was his the first T20 international hundred by an Irish player, and it was the 29 years old highest individual score in limited overs cricket for either club or country. The boundaries count were also Irish records.
65 runs came in the Mooney and Porterfield unbroken fourth wicket stand, which occupied just those aforementioend 27 balls.
Ireland finished on their highest total in the shortest format - 216 for 3, eclipsing their previous best of 202 against the ame opponents at the same venue in 2010.
Ahmed (2-30) and Ganesh (1 for 26 off 4 overs) fared best in the melee as the USA struggled to contain the in-form batsmen, who never took their foot off the gas.
To be fair, Akeem Dodson (27), Timroy Allen (20) and Steven Taylor (17) combined to give the reply a solid start as the Americans reached 57 for 1 in the 6th over.
At that point Ireland brought Paul Stirling and George Dockrell into the attack however and the slow stuff did the trick. Stirling, impressive with the ball against UAE was again the pick as he claimed 3-25 while Dockrell chipped in with a solid 2-19.
Skipper McGarrell resisted with 23 late on for his side but it was all damage limitation by then. Mooney (2-18) and Max Sorensen (2-24) tidied things up at the end as USA finally closed on 141 all out.
- USA get ready for action
- Mohammed Ghous bowling
- Paul Stirling batting
- Six hit signalled
- Paul Stirling and William Porterfield
- Boundary for William Porterfield
- William Porterfield hits a six
- Half century for William Porterfield
- Paul Stirling congratulates William Porterfield
- Runs for Paul Stirling
- Played to leg by William Porterfield
- Trying to set the field
- Return comes in
- Turned to leg by Paul Stirling
- Scooped by Paul Stirling
- More spin options
- Guided fine by William Porterfield
- Paul Stirling is bowled
- Paul Stirling surveys the damage
- Yet another boundary for William Porterfield
- William Porterfield hits through the off side
- Swept fine by Kevin O'Brien
- Lofted away by William Porterfield
- Improvised shot from William Porterfield
- William Porterfield takes a breather
- Pulled away by William Porterfield
- Huge six by William Porterfield
- Crashed away by William Porterfield
- Played away by Kevin O'Brien
- Return comes in
- William Porterfield pushes down the ground
- Danny Ahmed bowling
- Chipped away by Kevin O'Brien
- USA celebrate the wicket
- The dismissal is confirmed
- Trent Johnston batting
- Six hit by Johnston
- Skied by William Porterfield
- Porterfield dropped on 93
- Trent Johnston is bowled
- Boundary for John Mooney
- Six hit signalled by umpire Gough
- Hundred for William Porterfield
- William Porterfield acknowledges applause for his hundred
- William Porterfield congratulated by John Mooney
- Ireland players applaud
- William Porterfield century wagon wheel
- Leaping in to bowl
- John Mooney scored an unbeaten 32 from 13 balls
- Runs for John Mooney
- William Porterfield on the attack again
- On driven by William Porterfield
- John Mooney batting
- Crashed away by Porterfield
- William Porterfield finishes with another boundary
- William Porterfield comes off after making a record breaking 127 not out
- Fans applaud the efforts of William Porterfield
- USA conduct a post mortem
- Steven Taylor batting
- Runs for Dodson
- Trent Johnston
- Tim Murtagh
- Geirge Dockrell takes the catch
- Tim Murtagh and George Dockrell congratulated
- Runs for Timroy Allen
- Driven by Allen
- Return to Alex Cusack
- Geirge Dockrell bowling
- Pulled away by Allen
- Quick single for Dodson
- Waiting on the return
- Lofted by Timroy Allen...
- ..and another catch for George Dockrell
- Paul Stirling
- Crashed square by Patel
- Max Sorensen chases
- Runs for Patel
- Dodson hits down the ground
- Paul Stirling took 3 wickets
- Lofted by Dodson...
- ..and Tim Murtagh takes the catch
- Huge appeal by George Dockrell
- Played by Bartley
- John Mooney took 2 for 18
- Eye on the ball for George Dockrell
- Max Sorensen bowling
- Sliced away
- Catch for Alex Cusack
- Wide signalled
- Max Sorensen
- ..and another stunning catch for Alex Cusack
- Ghous bowled by Sorensen
- Max Sorensen congratulated
- Kids enjoying the game
- Ireland come off after winning by 75 runs
- Phil Simmons all smiles after the win
- William Porterfield receives the MOM award from ICC Match referee