CricketEurope Ireland logo
2019 Miscellaneous
News & Reports Photos Audio

2019 StatsZones
2019 Premier League
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

Ireland finished their tour with a good 58 run win over Cambridge University. Ireland had the best of the wicket which had become affected by rain on the third day. Cambridge failed to get the 220 runs set them to win. Seven of the Cambridge team which subsequently played in the Varsity Match turned out. RNR Blaker, batsman, and CE Winter, wicket keeper, were unable to play due to examinations. HC McDonell, the leg break bowler, only sent down one over due to an ankle injury which recurred. JM Meldon was unable to play for Ireland and was replaced by the Hon D O'Brien. The crowd was small despite fine weather when Ireland won the toss. They batted until 6 p.m. Sir TC O'Brien played well for an hour but Browning and the Hon D O'Brien were very slow, and it was left to the tail to put life into the game. Adair and Harvey put on 69 for the eighth wicket, and Harvey and Andrews added a further 50 for the ninth wicket.

Sir TC O'Brien and Comyn began to Cambridge's two main bowlers, Dowson and Wilson, both slow. Both batsmen hit fours but at 24 Comyn was caught at the wicket by Fry off Dowson for 13. Browning joined O'Brien, the latter doing most of the scoring. Driffield came on to bowl and O'Brien gave a chance to point, high up. McDonell could only bowl one over due to injury and Sewell replaced him. Sewell's first ball had O'Brien caught by Wilson at slip for 39. 69-2-39. He and Browning had added 45. RH Lambert made one stroke for three and was then bowled by Sewell. 73-3-3. The Hon D O'Brien came in next. Browning hit Sewell for 11 in one over but the scoring rate slowed after this. The lunch score was 108-3.

After lunch Dowson and Wilson bowled and the score was slowly taken to 136. Browning then misjudged a drive off Dowson and was caught at the wicket for 44. His stand with O'Brien had put on 63 runs. SD Lambert was bowled by Wilson for six at 149. Ross came in and batted in very lively fashion. Hon D O'Brien, who had been very slow, also began to force the game more resolutely. Together they added 53 runs for the sixth wicket in 35 minutes. Ross was dropped in the outfield when Penn misjudged a catch but next over he sent an easy catch to Ebden at cover off Sewell . He had made 33. At 218 O'Brien was run out when Adair called him for an impossible run. He had made 57 in 2 hours, but he lacked brilliance and was often in difficulties. Harvey joined Adair and the play brightened considerably. Both played risky strokes but scored quickly. When 17 Adair was dropped at cover by Ebden. Several bowlers were tried but the stand was worth 69 runs before Adair was caught at point by McDonell off Driffield. Andrews came in and he and Harvey added another 50 in 25 minutes. Then Harvey was caught at long-off by Sewell off Wilson for a grand 62. Harrington was bowled for one by the first ball he received from Dowson, leaving Andrews 23 not out. The last three wickets had put on 121 runs and the innings of 339 had lasted five hours. No Cambridge bowler was really successful. Cambridge batted for 10 minutes in poor light before the close of play. Wilson and Mann opened to Ross and Harrington. Each sent down three overs and off Harrington's last ball Wilson was caught at slip by Ross for four. The score was 14-1 with Mann 10 not out. It rained after play ceased. This was a worry for Cambridge who were not good wet wicket batsmen.

On the second day Ireland gained a first innings lead of 98 and lost two second innings wickets for 24. The wicket was affected by the rain and Cambridge mostly concentrated on defence. There was no play until noon. Gilman joined Mann and together they put on 55. Harrington began with six successive maidens. At 62 Lambert came on for Ross and at 69 he bowled Gilman for 37. The 55 was added in 67 minutes. Dowson came in and only three runs were scored off the next six overs. Then both played more freely and 100 went up. At 106 Ross returned for Lambert and in his first over Mann was run out for 42. This young Harrow freshman had given a careful display. Harper came next. Suddenly Dowson drove Harrington for three fours and was then caught at slip by Andrews. 120-4-33. With Harper and Ebden in lunch was taken at 130-4.

Play resumed after lunch and scoring runs was slow for a while. At 153 Harper skied Harrington to Adair at mid-on. He had made 23. KRB Fry, a cousin of CB Fry, was missed at the wicket when five. He then hit Harrington freely, but was bowled by that bowler at 190 for 24. EF Penn came in and hit very well. The seventh wicket added 39 before Ebden was lbw. He had made 34 in an hour and 50 minutes. Two runs later Penn fell to an outfield catch by Andrews off Lambert. With the score unchanged Driffield was bowled by the first ball he received from Harrington. McDonell, with Harper as a runner, made a few strokes but was bowled by Harrington at 5 p.m. The total was 241 and Ireland had used only three bowlers. Harrington bowled throughout the innings and leaving out the lunch interval he had bowled for four hours today. He bowled 56.4 overs, 25 maidens and took 7-76. He kept a fine length and was extremely accurate. Ross and Lambert shared the other end, Ross being rather expensive, 0-87 in 31 overs.

With a lead of 98 Sir TC O'Brien and Comyn opened Ireland's second innings to the bowling of Dowson and Wilson. It was a bad start. In Dowson's second over O'Brien returned a tame catch. 11-1-0. RH Lambert got Dowson to square leg for four and shortly afterwards was caught by Driffield at mid-off from a drive. 19-2-6. SD Lambert joined Comyn and at 5:45 p.m. play finished due to rain. The score was 24-2 with Comyn 10 and Lambert 4. Ireland were now 122 runs ahead with eight wickets in hand.

Rain flooded the ground on the second night but there was a full third day's cricket. The wicket was difficult and runs came slowly. The bowlers held the upper hand and Ireland were all out for 121. Ross had the best innings. He stayed an hour and 20 minutes for his 34 and his best support came from Adair and Browning. Cambridge, needing 220 to win, lost six wickets for 69 and seven for 81. Penn and Sewell then made a spirited effort to save the game, but failed.

Comyn and Lambert resumed at 11:45 a.m. Wilson and Dowson continued to bowl. After 13 runs were added in 15 minutes, Comyn was caught at point by Dowson off Wilson. 37-3-70. Hon D O'Brien made one stroke for three and was then bowled by Wilson. 43-4. With the addition of one extra, Harper in the longfield made a fine catch to dismiss SD Lambert off Dowson. Half the side was now out. Ross and Adair brought temporary relief by making a stand worth 31 runs. At 75 Adair was lbw to Wilson for six. FH Browning came in at number eight, unusually low for him. Driffield came on for Dowson. Ross, at 30, gave a difficult running catch to Sewell in the outfield which was not taken. At 96 Dowson came on again but Wilson achieved the separation when he just managed to reach a return from Ross. 106-7-34. This was another good display from Ross. He batted in adverse circumstances on a wicket that was none too easy. Harvey was missed at cover by Ebden when one but at 108 two wickets fell. Wilson took a good catch at mid-off to dismiss Browning off Dowson for 20 and Andrews was caught and bowled by Dowson, first ball, a good catch, low, and with the left hand. Harvey was again dropped, this time by Harper in the outfield, while Fry missed a stumping chance off Harrington. At 121 Fry atoned by stumping Harvey for 13 and the innings was over. Wilson, with his leg-breaks, had bowled unchanged to take 4-33 in 31 overs, very steady bowling. Dowson took 6-63 in 26.1 overs.

The sun was hot and the wicket sticky and Cambridge began the task of making 222 win. The start was indifferent. Mann was bowled by Ross's first ball. 0-1-0. Gilman gave Comyn an outfield catch which was dropped, but next ball he was caught by Andrews at slip. 18-2-7. Dowson joined Ebden and 25 were put on quickly, most off Harrington. Then, at 43, Dowson was caught off Harrington by Andrews at slip. With Harper in the pace slackened. At 62 Ebden attempting to drive Harrington was caught by Ross at short leg. He had made 30 in an hour. The middle batting collapsed. At 68 Fry was caught by Adair at mid-on off Harrington for 0. Lambert had come on for Ross and he bowled Harper in his second over at 69. Wilson and Penn stayed 20 minutes but at 81 Harrington bowled Wilson for one. Sewell came in and the best stand of the day followed. Penn hit very freely. Ross came back on and at 105 Harrington was taken off for the first time in the match. In his place Andrews bowled three overs with three runs. Penn was severe on Ross who conceded 29 runs in six overs. Both appeared to have settled down when suddenly Ross bowled Sewell. 138-8-15. The partnership had added 57. Driffield "bagged a pair" when attempting to drive Ross he was caught at slip. 144-9. McDonell came in and held on until Penn completed his 50. This was a gallant knock lasting only 75 minutes. Just before 6 p.m. Lambert bowled McDonell for 11 to end the match. Penn was 51 not out with five fours. This was Cambridge's first defeat and they went on to win the Varsity match by five wickets Ross, Harrington and Lambert shared the wickets and this was a fine ending to the tour. Browning kept wicket in this innings, but was not very good, there being 22 byes. S.D.Lambert had kept wicket in the first innings, Browning having injured his hand.