CricketEurope Ireland logo
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

For a three match tour of England a party of 13 was chosen. However, two of this party, Capt. D Ruttledge and LH Gwynn (who was to have joined the party for the second and third matches) did not travel and so the same 11 took part in all three matches.

The team that made the tour was a strong one. With the exception of LH Gwynn, it was probably the best team available. The first day was very hot and United Services, batting first, made 266. The first four batsmen were the chief contributors, especially Poole who was unfortunate to be run out for 92. Penny then caused a collapse although there was a ninth wicket stand between Gillett and Raitt. Ireland, in reply, were 96 for 1 at close of play. Browning and AP Gwynn opened and took the score to 90 before Gwynn was run out for 34 - a very creditable debut. Johnson joined Browning and at the close Browning was 52 not out and Johnson 2.

The second day was again fine but rather windy. Ireland batted splendidly and totalled 403. Browning and Johnson resumed and the score was 154 before the latter was bowled by Raitt. Meldon hit a brisk 31 and then he was bowled by Bedford. Penny came in but just before the 200 came up Browning was bowled by Bigge for a superb 94. Penny was bowled at 207. The followed the best stand of the innings between Comyn and Hynes. They took the score to 321, adding 114. Both batted well despite many bowling changes. Comyn, after completing a 50 on debut, was caught at cover off Bigge for 51. Bedford quickly disposed of Thompson (3) and B Hamilton (7) but with Lambert in (at no. 10) another stand was made. At 397 Hynes was caught and bowled after a careful innings of 91, which included 10 4's. Kilkelly saw the 400 up and at 403 Lambert was bowled for a sound 27. Bedford was the best bowler taking 5 wickets. Batting again United Services made 151 for 4 and the match was left drawn in Ireland's favour. RS Hamilton (62) and TA Bigge (54 not out) had a big stand for the 3rd wicket after Dyson and Gillett, who had opened the innings, were soon out.