CricketEurope Ireland logo
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

At the conclusion of the second game, early on Monday, it was unfortunately decided to play a third and deciding match. From the very start, however, the game was lacking in interest, with players and spectators alike evidently having had enough. The attendance was but a comparative handful and the players went about their work as if it was a most lamentable necessity. In the end the weather put a welcome end to the match. For this match WF Thompson replaced ER Thompson for Ireland and on the Philadelphian team JW Muir and FL Altemus replaced Coates and Baily.

The game began shortly after the previous one finished and apparently on the same wicket which was now fairly worn. Ireland won the toss and by the end of the day were 51 for 2. Penny and Johnson opened but King had Penny caught for 0 and the new player, Muir, had Johnson caught for 8, the second wicket falling at 24. Vint played very well and was 28 not out by the close of play. He was partnered by Hynes. Next day Hynes got an ugly cut on the head from a King bumper (the wicket had crumbled dreadfully). He retired for a while but pluckily resumed later and made 33. Vint made 47 before Clark bowled him. After being 90 for 3 on the second day, Ireland collapsed to 99 for 7, chiefly due to Clark. At this stage Hynes resumed with Green and together they put on 50. Noble then got both of them and the innings ended at 168. Seven bowlers were tried with Clark's figures of 4 for 55 being the best.

Going in to bat Philadelphia's display was a sorry one and it was once again only a last wicket stand that put respectability on the innings. At first Hamilton was unplayable. Penny had Clark caught for 0, then Hamilton clean bowled both Muir and Altemus and the score was 0 for 3. Penny had Patterson caught at 11. Scott and Bohlen put on 28 before Hamilton struck again by bowling Scott. Hynes had Bohlen out at 47 and play ended. Hamilton had taken 3 for 12.

Conditions were frightful on the third day. The temperature was near freezing point and the wind blew at gale force. Heavy rain fell at intervals and the wicket played atrociously. Under such circumstances cricket was not cricket and the players on both sides heartily wished that the game had not started. By lunch Philadelphia were all out for 133 after being 80 for 9. Noble played splendidly to make 53 and with King (8 not out) put on 53 for the last wicket. This was the fifth last wicket stand of 20 or more in these three matches. Meldon came on himself and bowled Noble.

Lunch was now taken and the players thawed out. Both captains were willing to admit that a victory under such circumstances would be a hollow one. However, after a long consultation, it was decided that, as the day's play had started, for the sake of those spectators who were on hand or who might come out in the afternoon, it must be finished. But it was also decided to abandon the match at 5.00 by which time it must necessarily end in a draw from which neither side would attempt to claim the slightest advantage. The record, therefore, stood at one win each and a draw. In the remaining time Ireland increased their first innings lead of 35 by a further 133 losing seven wickets. Six wickets were down for 50 and seven for 87. Hynes made 27 and Kilkelly 31 while Vint had to retire hurt. At 87 for 7 Penny joined Gavin and at 5.00 the pair were still together having put on 46. Gavin, in his last innings for Ireland, made 33 not out.

In order to play this match the Irish party cancelled their return on the S.S. Gallia which left New York on 4 October and instead travelled home on the S.S. Umbria on 8 October . They arrived in Queenstown on 16 October . Kilkelly remained on in America for a while.

In all 8 matches were played on this tour of which 4 were won, two drawn and two lost. The games not regarded as full Ireland matches were v XV of New England at Longwood, Boston (1st match of tour); v XIV of Lowell at Lowell, Mass. (2nd match of tour); v XV of Baltimore at Mount Washington (7th match of tour played between the first and second Philadelphia matches). These matches were played against teams of lesser quality.