CricketEurope Ireland logo
2019 Miscellaneous
News & Reports Photos Audio

2019 StatsZones
2019 Premier League
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

Between the warm up match -v- Kenya and this one, Stephen Warke, the Captain, broke a bone in his elbow while at practice. He fell over a large roller. Lewis now became Captain and Benson Vice-Captain. Originally left out were Dunlop, Millar, Moore, Graham and Cohen (all fit). Dunlop replaced Warke on the morning of the match.

PNG were semi-finalists in 1982 and missed such a position in 1990 on run rate. They were seeded 2nd in the group so a win was essential. Ireland had been odd team out in the first round of matches in which Holland beat Malaysia and PNG beat Gibraltar - both very easily. Ireland had at least the opportunity of seeing all four opponents.

Following heavy rain which made a morass of an inadequately covered square there was no play on the first day which allowed the arriving supporters party be greeted. On day 2 Ireland, sent in, began briskly and reached 230 for 8. Rea, (not feeling well for 2 days) was out at 25 but 52 was up in 12.4 overs. At 57 C McCrum had a suicide run out to mid-off. Benson, missed twice and Lewis had 100 up in 24.3 overs. Benson was caught at wide 3rd slip for 46 at 103. Lewis made a good 50 off 65 balls with 7 fours. Then Harrison at 151 and Lewis at 153 were both out - Lewis wrongly given run out when he was stumped. Curry and Dunlop put on 29 when Curry indulged in another suicide run out. The last 3 wickets added 45 due to Dunlop's excellent 30 in 34 balls. 117 were scored in the last 20 overs.

PNG started at 2.25 p.m. and really made no effort to maintain a scoring rate. P. McCrum and Harrison were the bowlers. Amini was LBW to Harrison at 18 in the 10th over. Nelson had T. Raka caught in the 11th over. Nelson's first. Rain looked imminent so Nelson was immediately replaced by Hoey to speed the over rate - 30 had to be bowled to prevent a 'no result'. In his 4th over, the 19th, Hoey took wickets in successive balls at 40. At 45 for 4 in 21.1 overs the heavens opened and play was suspended for 157 minutes.

Resumption was only possible by dint of great and careful work by the Irish players and supporters in getting the covers (tarpaulin) on and off. Play resumed at 5.53 p.m. and allowed Ireland to bowl the necessary overs to ensure a match. This was done by Hoey and Curry at some speed as more rain looked likely. It arrived after 32 overs with PNG at 88 for 7. Hoey's 5 for 29 in 10 overs won him Man-of-the-Match (a Cup). In this latter period Jackson brought off a very fine stumping and Dunlop a catch at long-off diving backwards at the 3rd attempt.

PNG lodged a protest over the covers episode and also claimed that they, too, should have received 50 overs. This was overruled but not until Ireland had played two more matches.