CricketEurope Ireland logo
2019 Miscellaneous
News & Reports Photos Audio

2019 StatsZones
2019 Premier League
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

This was the first visit to Holland since 1974 and the first match against Holland since 1976. The previous matches (1970-1976) were all of three days duration and Ireland won all four. Holland invited Ireland, playing all expenses, other than airfares. The party travelled on the eve of the matches. Holland had been finalists in the last ICC Associates Trophy which was played in Holland.

Further, in this match, Holland fielded four residentially qualified players - Clarke and Gomes from West Indies, Aponso from Sri Lanka and Bradley from New Zealand. After these matches had been arranged, Holland and Ireland were, in fact, drawn in the same group in the 1994 ICC Competition to be held in Nairobi. Playing surfaces in Holland were still the same as in 1974, coconut matting on shale. The technique for both batting and bowling is different from grass. At short notice and without practice Ireland could not come to terms and were beaten easily. Nelson and Jackson were still unavailable and both were missed. Harrison returned. It was intended to play C McCrum but he felt unwell after the morning warm-up and was left out.

On a cold and blustery day the start was delayed 47 minutes and the match reduced from 55 overs per side to 50 overs. Holland won the toss and opened with Aponso and Bakker to Moore and P McCrum. McCrum took a wicket in the third over, Bakker being caught at gully. 33 minutes later rain stopped play and play could not be resumed for an hour during which time lunch was taken, and no further overs were lost. The score was 35-1 after 11.5 overs, Aponso 20, van Oosterom 12.

The spinners, Hoey and Harrison were soon on but 50 came up in 18.2 overs. Hoey was assaulted for 17 in his fifth over but had Aponso caught at deep mid-wicket in his next over. 67-2-33. This brought in Clarke in the 21st over. After a quiet start he raced to 50 off 40 deliveries. 100 was up in 28.5 overs. Lewis conceded 27 runs in four overs and Harrison, towards the end of his spell, went for 31 runs in 2 overs including 3x6. van Oosterom reached a good 50 from 77 deliveries.

McCrum was brought back and bowled van Oosterom in the 35th over. 157-3-56. McCrum was taken off at once with three overs still in hand. Three overs later, Hoey, with his last possible ball, bowled Clarke for 80 scored off 60 deliveries in 68 minutes of vigorous hitting with 3x6 and 8x4. With 12 overs to go it was now 179-4. 79 were scored in these 12 overs. Bradley fell in Harrison's last over, caught at mid-wicket with the score on 184.

The next pair, Gomes and wicket-keeper Scholte put on 55 in half an hour in nine overs. Dunlop conceded 36 runs in five overs. Lewis had one more over which went for 13 runs. It lasted for 13 balls with 6 No balls and 1 Wide! With three overs remaining Moore had Gomes caught at the wicket. 239-6-31. Those last three overs yielded 19 to Scholte and his captain, S Lubbers, the only survivor in the match of the last game between the sides at Downpatrick in 1974. Field placings had been a problem and Clarke was lucky that some of his blows did not find fielders.

Five runs an over was a daunting task under strange conditions. Leemhuis and Visee were the opening bowlers and each bowled six good overs, particularly Visee who conceded 13 runs. With the score on 20 Cohen was out to a good catch at second slip, high and two handed as Cohen uncharacteristically slashed. Tea was taken after 25 overs but two more wickets had been lost by then and the score was only 59 - 200 still to win in only 25 overs! Keukelaar took both the wickets. With the total on 46, Rea (24) nibbled and was caught at slip. 10 runs later Lewis who pulled at a ball that was too near him and skied to the wicket-keeper.

At tea, Warke had scored 15 in an hour and Smyth had not scored. Leemhuis came back and Smyth (on 1) skied him to mid-wicket with the score on 61. Lubbers was now bowling a five over spell. In the last of these, when the total was 94, he had Warke caught at mid-off, driving, for 41. 100 came in 35.2 overs. At 103, Harrison pushed Visee to backward square-leg. Hoey was caught at the wicket off his second ball - a doubtful decision. Then in the last 14 overs Dunlop and P McCrum cheered up the Irish camp by adding 59 in 41 minutes in an unbroken stand - but the defeat was by the huge margin of 95 runs. Aponso bowled his 10 overs for 11 runs.

Warke had captained the team for the 38th time, which was one more than the previous record held by JD Monteith.