CricketEurope Ireland logo
2019 Miscellaneous
News & Reports Photos Audio

2019 StatsZones
2019 Premier League
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

This was an ill-fated match! Somerset were to come with Gloucestershire as a "back-up". This pair were invited because they played each other in the Nat West second round. Gloucester won and assumed that Somerset would come to Ireland. However TCCB, at short notice, deputed Somerset to play Pakistan on the date of the Irish match. This was because Warwickshire, Pakistan's designated opponents, were in the Nat West semi-finals on the same date. Gloucester had to be reactivated - and they agreed and sent a young fit active team without their leading County players Wright, Russell, Athey, Alleyne and Walsh. They proved too good for the Irish on a damp, fast, bouncy new pitch at Ormeau.

Play began at 11:30 AM was finally abandoned at 6:16 PM with only 20 overs remaining and more rain falling. It was the sixth break for heavy showers and in all only 32.5 overs were bowled in 130 minutes play. ERM Moore was retained, AN Nelson replaced Thompson, Cohen, now fit again, replaced Smyth and C McCrum replaced Dunlop.

The opening overs from Smith and RC Williams brought no alarms though Cohen took 13 deliveries to score. In 34 balls he scored 11 but he was caught at third slip in the 11th over. The score was now 29. The next highest stand was 15, unbroken, for the last wicket. Rea was playing carefully and well. Joined by Warke there was a 22 minute rain break. The next session lasted 21 minutes. Just as another shower arrived Warke was caught at the wicket in Gerrard's first over, replacing Smith. After an 18 minute break there was 15 minutes play up to lunch at 1:30 PM. Lewis did not survive this being caught at third slip off a convulsive jab at Williams. The lunch score (after 21 overs) was 50-3.

After lunch 5 wickets fell in 5 overs! Rain had delayed lunch by 15 minutes. There was then 10 minutes play before the next shower. In that time C McCrum mishooked and was caught by the bowler (Gerrard). Next over Williams had Patterson caught in the gully. 60-5. As Patterson departed more rain caused a 34 minute break. Williams, in finishing his over, had Curry LBW. In Gerrard's next over Miller had his off stump sent cartwheeling back to the wicket-keeper 65-7. Hoey had just time to get in before the was another 15 minute break. Out they came for another 15 minutes.

Gerrard took his third wicket in successive overs when Hoey was LBW with the score at 71-8. It had by now been agreed to play until 7:30 PM. With Moore joining Rea they came off at 3:49 PM, had tea, but could not resume until 6 PM. There was 16 minutes more play before the match was given up as a draw. Rea, who looked as if he would carry his bat (the 1st to do so since SF Bergin in 1951) was out at once for 34 with the score at 77. He had faced 81 balls and batted for 117 minutes in between the showers - a fine innings. Nelson hit Williams for 3 good straight shots. He and Moore were still in possession when the end came at 6:16 PM at 86-9. The pitch was too fast and the shower breaks too many for the Irish.

This was TJT Patterson's 40th and last match for Ireland (1984-1992). He scored 1117 runs at an average of 27.24 with 7 50s. He started playing as a fast left-arm all-rounder (and took 27 wickets at an average of 26.70) but injury prevented his bowling after 1988. He averaged 41.12 for 329 runs in Zimbabwe in 1991.

Ormeau, Belfast