CricketEurope Ireland logo
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

This was the big match for AIB, the tour sponsors, who hosted over 100 clients in a marquee and gave the Irish party dinner at the hotel in the evening. The day began fine, turned to cloud and finally to quite heavy rain in the last hour of play. Play went on in the rain, it is that kind of match, and probably cost Ireland their first defeat at Arundel. It became very difficult to bowl with a sodden ball and the young South African, MW Pringle, thumped his team to victory with an over to spare.

Ireland left out the injured Cohen and Halliday. The Duchess's team was, as usual, captained by John Barclay, formerly of Sussex, and was a good representative team most of whom had played county cricket. Sent in Ireland did not begin well. With the score on 4 Spencer had Nulty (3) caught at square leg. As 27 Lewis was run out when he indulged in ball watching when it was not his call. Harrison and Vincent settled down and had 50 up in 19 overs. Five bowlers were tried. It was the fifth, Don Wilson, now over 50 and formerly of Yorkshire and England, who took the next wicket. Vincent, having scored 46 in 106 minutes, was caught with the total on 97 after a 70 run partnership in 79 minutes.

100 came up in 36 overs at which point came lunch, with Harrison on 44 and Garth 0. This pair put on 26. Harrison went to his 50, his second in succession, in 110 minutes but was bowled by the Rev Wingfield-Digby, former blue and captain of Dorset, for 53. Garth increased the tempo and got to 34 in 43 deliveries before being caught off Wilson. The total was now 151-5, the last 50 having come in 12 overs. Spence was soon stumped off Barclay. Patterson and Thompson hit one six and eight fours between them in an unfinished stand of 41 in 16 minutes. After 58 overs and 186 minutes the declaration came with the score on 209-6. One would have liked 20 more. Standing, formerly of Sussex, who had made a century against Ireland at Malahide was bowled by Nelson with the fifth ball of the innings. After 13 overs tea was taken with the score on 32-1, Claughton 6, Cox 22. This stand took the score to 47 at which point Harrison, in his third over, had Claughton (13) stumped. With Knight in 50 came up in 16.4 overs. At 54, Nelson, in his 10th over, had Cox (32) brilliantly caught by Spence at point. Cass and Knight now added 44 in only 30 minutes. Garth had replaced Nelson but his first three overs cost 24. At 98 Cass was run out when Vincent hit the stumps from backward mid-on. 98-4-32.

100 came up in 29.1 overs with Knight and Pringle in. The last hour had begun after 29 overs with 113 runs required to win. Then came the rain. Harrison continued to bowl until the end. The other end was shared, firstly by Garth (who bowled six overs) and then Nelson (three overs). Harrison bowled Knight (23) with the score on 131, after a 33 run partnership in 23 minutes. 13.4 overs remained to get 78, at a rate of marginally under six an over. At 144 Garth bowled Barclay with the first ball of the ninth over of the final 20. Now 66 were needed in 10.5 overs. Pringle was now on 30 and the stand with Spencer, who only made 9, put on 32.

Then, with the total on 176, Spencer was stumped off Harrison. Pringle was now 52 (50 came in 59 minutes off only 43 deliveries, and containing eight fours). Six overs remained and the rain was now very heavy. No more wickets fell. Only 1 run came in Nelson's next over, and 4 in Harrison's. 29 was now needed in four overs. Only three were required! Pringle smashed Nelson for a six, three fours and a single - 19 in all. He then took a four and a single in Harrison's next over. Five now were required to win. Wingfield-Digby got a two and then hit a towering six over long-off to win the match.