CricketEurope Ireland logo
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

Turk Mine was 40 miles from Bulawayo and the teams stayed privately in Farm Houses on the first night of the match, having been driven to the ground on the morning of the game. The ground had been hacked from the Bush three years previously and for such a new ground was in excellent order. There was brilliant sunshine and a breeze for the entire two days. The three quick bowlers took 17 wickets between and there was another 10 wicket victory for Ireland.

Matabeleland Country Districts were 54-2 but then all out for 85. Ireland were then 99-7 but Haire, in his first match for Ireland, made 45 and a lead of 74 was established. Ireland had only 11 fit players. Harrison, Jackson and McBrine, with stomach upsets, were too ill to play and Lewis had a sore back. The Mashonaland Country Districts team had two from Hwanga (Radloff and Stylianou) and two from Bulawayo (James and van Rensburg.

The match began at 9:33 AM after the 40 mile drive from Bulawayo. Matabeleland Country Districts decided to bat. Stylianou and MacKenzie opened to the bowling of Milling and McDevitt. Milling got both openers quickly. In his third over MacKenzie was bowled for 2 and in his fourth over Stylianou was caught at the wicket by Dennison.

Throughout the match Dennison kept wicket excellently and caught 4 catches. Radloff and Streak then put on 40, the best stand of the match for Matabeleland Country Districts. Prior came on with the score on 21 and Patterson at 35. In Patterson's second over Milling dropped Streak at deep square leg - a difficult catch off a full toss. The score was 44 and Streak was 50.

A 20 minute break was scheduled for 11 AM. At 10:59 AM Streak was caught at the wicket in Patterson's fifth over and the break was then taken. 53-3-22. Radloff at this stage was 18. Milling returned to partner Patterson and wickets tumbled - the last seven going down for 31 runs. Milling bowled Radloff with the score unchanged. Then, in 16 balls, Patterson took 4 wickets for 4 runs while the score advanced from 57 to 70. He caught and bowled James (3) who had played so well in Bulawayo. This was a brilliant diving right-handed catch when James popped a ball on the onside. He bowled Wallace for 0; and had van Rensburg caught at deep square leg and Barker played on. 70-8 was now the score.

From square leg Warke threw to Dennison to run out Versveld at 79 and Prior caught number 11, Rees, at wide mid-on off Patterson to end the innings at 85. 44 overs had been bowled. In his 15, Patterson with lively in-swing bowling took 6-27, his first five wicket haul for Ireland. He conceded 16 runs before taking a wicket. Milling had 3-21 in 15 overs.

In 8 minutes until lunch Masood (1) and Warke (3) saw Ireland to 5 against the bowling of Rees and Streak. Ireland fared badly after the hour lunch break. They slumped to 99-7 and were saved by Haire in his first innings for Ireland. Masood (6) played on to Streak at 10. At the same score Warke was caught at cover off Rees. Dennison was playing well but lost Cohen at 33, caught at second slip off Streak and at 41 Streak had Vincent LBW. Streak came off with the total at 55.

Dennison and Prior added 34, but, at 75, Brownlee-Walker had Dennison caught at mid-on. 75-5-29. Prior had an escape at 76 and he and Patterson added 20. Then Patterson was bowled with the total on 95 and Prior (36) caught at 99. The tea break had been taken with the score on 87-5. Haire came in at number eight and saved the innings. He made 45 and the last three wickets added 74 in 17 overs. Haire began slowly and made only 11 of the 30 run partnership with Halliday. Streak rang the changes in his bowlers and it was Rees who had Halliday LBW with the total on 129.

McDevitt came in and 34 more runs were put on, although McDevitt made only 2! Haire sped up and hit Rees for a six. At 163, a legspinner, Stylianou had Haire LBW for 45. He had batted well for 72 minutes. The sixth bowler used, Versveld, caught and bowled McDevitt with his third ball with the total on 173. All six bowlers had taken at least one wicket and Streak had 3-35 in 15 overs, probably under-bowling himself. Prior completed 1000 runs for Ireland in his 38th innings, in 29 matches, the 20th to do so and the third quickest. Only McVeagh and Short were quicker than him.

When Ireland were eventually dismissed for 173, there were 14 minutes remaining to the close at 6 PM. In that time Patterson took 2 wickets. With his second ball he bowled MacKenzie and with his fifth he bowled night watchman Versveld - both with fast in swingers. There were 4 overs bowled and the score at close of play was 6-2, Stylianou 4 and Barker, another night watchman, 0. That night a barbecue was held in the club and Halliday led the usual Irish team choir, with solos from McCann and Cashell. The second day's play began at 9 AM!

The second day's play began at 9 AM! Stylianou and Barker put up a good resistance to Milling and Patterson. At 31 Halliday and McDevitt were tried. Halliday broke the stand at 36 having Stylianou LBW for 25. Radloff joined Barker. Haire was given a go but it was Milling, recalled at 69, who took the next wicket having Barker LBW with the total on 73.

At the tea break (11 AM) the score was 77-5 with Radloff 26 not out. Streak was out just before the break, bowled by Milling. In the same over, just after the break, Milling bowled James. Milling had taken 3 wickets in 9 balls. Next over Haire had Wallace caught at mid-on to give the bowler his first wicket for Ireland. 73-3 had now become 80-7. In his next over Milling had van Rensburg LBW at 90. Radloff was playing well. Joined by Brownlee-Walker a stand of 36 was made in 35 minutes. At 120 McDevitt was recalled after bowling 7 overs earlier. With the first and fifth balls of his second over he had bowled Radloff (47) and Brownlee-Walker (21) was caught at the wicket by Dennison.

Ireland were now set 40 to win and this proved no bother to Masood and Warke. They achieved it in 9.2 overs. Wallace was given a bowl first change. Warke hit his last three balls for four. The first and second balls of his next over were hit for two and six by Masood to end the match at 12:52 PM.

That evening the team flew back to Harare to play Zimbabwe Schools at the sports club in Harare the next day, Thursday 9th of January. Put in Ireland made 206-7 in 60 overs (Cohen 57, Lewis 51, Prior 32, Haire 26 not out).

The Schools dropped a lot of catches, which, if held, would have made the match very tight. The Schools used eight bowlers. In reply to Ireland's total the Schools were 56-5. The pressure was not maintained and they got 176-9 in their 60 overs. Milling took 3-30 in his 12 overs. Jackson and Warke were ill for this match, while Patterson and Vincent were left out. In charge of the Schools team was a Jesuit from St Georges College, Rev Sir Kenneth Nixon Bart S. J.