CricketEurope Ireland logo
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

The game was even for two days in sunny weather on a perfect wicket. Then, on the second evening and the third morning, Ireland unaccountably collapsed in the second innings and were saved by rain from a defeat they merited. Ireland were without Waters (who had not been re-engaged as professional by Clontarf), Hughes (injured), Duffy and Monteith. The latter two, both slow bowlers, cried off. This brought into the team two youthful offspinners, both new caps. They were M Halliday, aged 21, and captain of Dublin University, and R.Moan, aged 19 from Sion Mills. In retrospect it was perhaps a mistake to bring both in together but the selectors probably never foresaw that Duffy and Monteith might cry off at the same time. WT Booton, an Englishman living in Cork, was another new cap and a surprise choice for Hughes' place. J Harrison returned to the team in place of Waters.

Two Scottish players were new to the Irish match. BR Hardie is a brother of Keith Hardie, an international slow left arm bowler. JH Kennedy is a fast left-arm bowler. D.Barr announced that this would be his last match for Scotland.

The North Inch ground was fenced in for the match and looked splendid for Ireland's first visit since 1950. Pigot and Reith went off a rush. Kennedy conceded 22 runs in a five over spell. 30 came up in 35 minutes. Then Thompson and Barrr slowed the rate. After an hour the score was 41. Allan and Goddard, the spinners, came on and Pigot was missed off a stumping chance when he was 19 and the total 60. Reith was looking for runs but Pigot was at a full stop. Chisholm bowled three overs before lunch for 20 runs and only this made the score of 88 at that time look respectable. Reith was 59 and Pigot 29.

Goddard and Thompson bowled after lunch but the tempo never increased. The first century opening stand for 14 years came up. Eventually the stand became the third highest ever. It was broken at 133 when Reith was LBW pulling at Allan. Reith made a fine 82 in 170 minutes. Harrison came next. It might have been better to send Anderson in to increase the scoring rate. After three hours the score was 135. Harrison settled in but scored slowly. 200 came up in the 87th over, the new ball having just been taken. Harrison gave a very hard chance to Goddard in the gully off Kennedy when 36. Tea was taken at 4:30 PM with the score at 208-1, Pigot 86, Harrison 37. This really was not enough in perfect conditions after 260 minutes. Eight minutes after tea Pigot's vigil ended when he mistimed a pull off Thompson and skied the ball to slip. 211-2-88. Pigot's 88 took 260 minutes. It was a struggle all the time as he was palpably out of form and would not commit himself to a full-blooded shot. Anderson now came in but took a while to get going. Thompson, Kennedy and Barr kept the game tight. Harrison went to his first 50 for Ireland in two hours. Only 34 runs came in 42 minutes. Then Harrison hit across Barr and was bowled for 65. Dineen was dropped at slip by More next ball. In 30 minutes Anderson, who was only seven when Harrison was out, and Dineen added 43 before Goodwin declared. Anderson finished with a flourish scoring 33 in the last half hour. In half an hour to the close, which came at 7 PM, Chisholm and More put on 31 for Scotland, Chisholm 21, More 10. Goodwin gave his young off-spinners an over each before the close.

Play on the second day, Sunday, was from 1:30 PM to 7:30 PM with a 30 minute break at 4:15 PM. The fourth ball of the day removed More's middle stump, bowled by O'Riordan. Ireland's next success was not until 5:25 PM. In between Chisholm and JG Laing added 171, a Scottish second wicket record. It was only five short of the all-time second wicket record against Ireland made by RAD Brookes and WG Lowndes for MCC at Lords. Scotland got only 20 in the first hour of the day. Booton replaced Goodwin who had bowled 12 overs for five runs this morning. At 65 Chisholm should have been run out. Laing hit a ball to Halliday at short mid-wicket. There was a misunderstanding with Chisholm stranded in mid-wicket. Halliday's throw was good but Booton dropped the ball. Chisholm was 37.

Moan was given a bowl at 86 and bowled reasonably well but sometimes overpitched. Chisholm went to 50 out of 87 in 131 minutes. 100 came up at 3:20 PM and only 74 scored in two hours today. Laing took about the same time as Chisholm to reach 50 when the score was 122. Moan missed a difficult caught and bowled off Laing but at tea the score was 164-1, Chisholm 81, Laing 70. Ireland had contained Scotland well. Booton had trouble with his line and Halliday bowled a tidy spell. 35 came in 30 minutes after tea but Chisholm slowed up as he neared his first century for Scotland. Laing reached 93 and was then caught at the wicket off O'Riordan. He batted 200 minutes and was looking very aggressive towards the end. The new ball was due in six overs as Racionzer came in but O'Riordan and Booton kept bowling in the hope of depriving Chisholm of his century. Eventually, at 6 PM, Chisholm got there out of 217. It took 269 minutes and the last 19 took 70 minutes. It was Chisholm's 70th match and 132nd innings for Scotland since his first in 1948. It was his 21st successive match against Ireland. Chisholm now swung the bat and soon gave Colhoun a good catch off Booton. 222-3-105. Hardie was next but Racionzer was out at 224 when Harrison caught a very high skier off Moan at long-on. Barr, in his last match for Scotland, was next. He was caught at the wicket off Moan but given not out. Hardie and Barr added 36 in 20 minutes. After 95 overs, at 260, the new ball was taken and shared by O'Riordan and Booton. Booton bowled Barr immediately. 24 more were added in 10 minutes by Hardie and Thompson before the declaration came at 6:42 PM. In this stand Harrison dropped Thompson off O'Riordan at deep mid-on - another skier. Hardie scored 36 not out in less than an hour and looked very good. Goodwin had juggled his inexperienced bowlers as well as he could and himself bowled 23 overs for 23 runs - indeed he might have bowled a little more.

The last half-hour was a disaster for Ireland. Reith snicked the second ball (his first) into the wicket off Thompson. The last ball of Thompson's fourth over had Pigot LBW with bat aloft either forgetting or ignoring the new experimental law. Colhoun, as nightwatchman, joined Harrison. 10 minutes later he did the unpardonable. He was comfortably run out attempting a second run on his own hit to third man. Colhoun was out at 7:30 PM. Close was 7:30, but the umpires unaccountably allowed Anderson to come in. He snicked his first ball from Thompson to wicket-keeper Brown. 11-4. Anderson should not have been sent in at this time as he is temperamentally unsuited to this situation. A second nightwatchman was the answer. It is said there was such a one nominated but he was not ready. When Dineen reached the wicket it was 7:36 PM and he took the liberty of reminding the umpire of the law. Play was halted. The score was 11-4, Harrison six not out and Thompson had taken 3-4 in 5.3 overs.

The final day's play started at 11 AM. At 1:20 PM Ireland were all out for 93 leaving Scotland to score 98 in a possible 150 minutes. Thompson and Barr continued the bowling to Harrison and Dineen. With the score at 13 Harrison gave Brown an easy catch at the wicket, standing back, off Barr which was dropped. Harrison in his neat way scored 20 and was bowled by Barr at 25. Then came the last partnership which one felt could save Ireland when O'Riordan joined Dineen. Dineen took 54 minutes to score his first run. O'Riordan was in good form and in fact batted an hour for 31. Kennedy came on for Thomson at 52 and O'Riordan began to flash at the ball moving away from him. In Kennedy's second over he snicked a catch to Barr at second slip. Barr dropped the ball but, in doing so, gave Racionzer at first slip a perfect pass and the catch was completed. 63-6. Booton came next and had an uncomfortable start but survived. Goddard replaced Barr . In 36 minutes Dineen and Botton took the score up by 23. They began to run a series of short singles. Eventually Dineen underestimated More's ability at short extra cover and Booton was run out when More's throw hit the wicket. Thompson came back for Kennedy at 84 and bowled Goodwin at 87. Colhoun came in and looked quite safe. At 1:12 PM, however, Dineen lost his concentration. He went down the wicket to Goddard, lifted his head and gave Barr a catch at deep extra cover. He had batted 132 minutes for 17 and it was a pity he could not have hung on a little longer. Halliday hit a four and a two and was then caught at the wicket on the leg side. Thomson had taken 5-37 in 18.4 overs.

At 2 PM Chisholm and More set off after 98 runs. In 30 minutes 18 were scored. Then Ireland did what they failed to do in the first innings, they ran out Chisholm. He hit a ball to Anderson's left at cover. He called and ran and was sent back. Despite a bad throw Colhoun completed the run out by rolling the ball at the wicket. The rain came down before Laing could get in. There was an eight minute resumption at 3:13 PM in which two runs were scored. It then rained again and the match was abandoned at 3:50 PM.