CricketEurope Ireland logo
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

L Warke was not available. GA Duffy cried off and was replaced by G Lyness.

By beating MCC Ireland recorded her first win since 1957 and first over MCC since 1954. In 48 matches against MCC since 1858 Ireland have now won 15 and lost 12. The wicket was dusty and broken on the third day and Given Lyness from NICC had a "dream" debut with his off spinners. He took 8-90 in the match including 6-39 in the second innings. It is early yet to judge this young man because in this match he was bowling on an off spinners paradise. This test will come when the wicket fails to assist him. His action is good and high and he gives the ball good tweak but his direction could improve. MCC lost probably because they had no off spinner or left hander in the team who could exploit the conditions. GH Chesterton again captained the team. The most interesting personality was GHG Doggart, the Cambridge captain of 1950. In the same year Doggart twice played for England against West Indies and in 1954 he captained Sussex. Two winters ago he took an MCC team to South America. JR Bernard is a direct descendant of WG Grace; GL Willatt, Cambridge captain in 1947 later captained Derbyshire. When RG Woodcock, the Oxford University fast bowler cried off at the last moment, MCC brought in J Cooke a young fast bowler from the ground staff - the first professional to play for MCC against Ireland in this country.

Warke was not available for Ireland but MH Stephenson was. Wilson and Hope were dropped for Huey (now available) and Corry (a young batsman who had played in 1959). On a fine morning but before a small crowd Bergin and Corry faced Hall and Cooke. Bergin took two fours off Cooke's third over but next over the same bowler had Corry caught by Blake behind the wicket. Chesterton came on first change and when the score was 39 Martin, who was playing confidently, gave Cooke a sharp catch at backward short leg off the new bowler. This brought Stevenson in and the next 55 minutes up to lunch saw 65 runs added of which Stevenson made 50. Doggart was tried with off spinners but Stevenson was very severe on him hitting him for 30 runs in six overs including 22 off the last two - mostly pulls and sweeps and one glorious pull went for six into the trees. Stevenson reached 50 in 50 minutes with 42 runs in boundaries. At lunch, when the score was 104-2, Stevenson was 50 and Bergin 26.

After lunch three wickets fell quickly. Stevenson floundered against Gibson's leg spin and was well caught at square leg by Cooke for 55; four runs later Cooke bowled Bergin for 36 (scored in 155 minutes) and at 130 Cooke also bowled Hunter. O' Riordan and Finlay now added 41 in even time but another leg spinner, Duff, quickly ended the innings by taking three of the last five wickets and Ireland were all out at 4:15 for 207. Cooke's 5-48 in 20 overs was good bowling. Rain set in during tea and there could be no further play on the first day.

MCC's innings on the second day was very similar to Ireland's in that they scored only five more runs and were also all out just at the tea interval. Again 100 runs were scored before lunch and, at 3:20 PM, MCC were in full flight at 190-3. 50 minutes later they were all out for 212 and in fact had been 201 for 9. If Colhoun had accepted a catch at that stage Ireland would have led on first innings! Hunter and Bernstein brought about this collapse. Indeed, Hunter after his long spell against Scotland in Cork was not used until the score was about 170. Then he bowled 9.3 overs and took 5-22. He actually took the five wickets in 37 balls for nine runs.

The morning was fine when Bushby and Blake started against O'Riordan and Bernstein. The start was brisk but at 21 Blake skied O'Riordan to extra cover. 21-1-8. Willatt had an appalling start constantly playing and missing or edging. Huey had an 11 overs spell but conceded 33 runs, mostly to Bushby who was playing well. It was Lyness who broke through in his fourth over. 74 were scored in 75 minutes when Bushby was caught by Martin at forward short leg. 74-2-44. 10 minutes later Doggart, obviously out of touch, skied Lyness to Corry who ran to square leg to make a good catch. Bernard hit the ball well and at lunch the score was 110-3. First ball after lunch Willatt aged Lyness to Corry at gully but the catch went down. This was very costly as the pair added 80 in the next 50 minutes. Huey was again beaten out of the attack as, eventually, was Lyness. Finally a splendid two-handed diving catch by O' Riordan at mid-off brought the left-handed Willatt's innings to an end. He had made 71. Two runs later Hunter bowled Bernard for 55 and the innings simply crumbled up.

Ireland's second innings began at 4:30 PM and, in two hours, 72-4 were scored to present a somewhat even position going into the third day - but Ireland had to struggle. Corry was again caught at the wicket, this time off Hall before a run was scored. After half an hour Bergin was LBW on the front foot to Hall and two runs later Hall wrecked Stevenson's wicket. Martin, again playing well, and Hunter doubled the score but Duff, used as first change, bowled Hunter with just under an hour to go. Happily no further wicket fell and at close of play Martin was 37 and O'Riordan 11.

In desperation on the third morning Chesterton again used Doggart as an off spinner but O'Riordan and Martin put on 25 more in 20 minutes before Chesterton had O'Riordan LBW in his first over. Martin completed his 50 but lost Finlay at 110 - bowled by Doggart. Martin was now playing very well and frequently lofted the ball over the in-field. He and Bernstein added 27 but then the last four wickets fell - all to Chesterton - for only 12 runs. Martin was eighth out at 138. Chesterton flung himself to his right and took a one-handed return catch. Martin's 70 occupied 160 minutes with nine fours. Huey bagged a pair and Chesterton finished with 5-19 in 12 overs.

At 12:55 PM Bushby and Blake set off after the 145 runs to win. Blake hit two fours but played at and missed a lot before finally being caught at the wicket off Bernstein. 18-1. At 23 Willis was caught at backward short leg off O'Riordan and at lunch the score was 27-2. O'Riordan and Bernstein bowled one over each after lunch and then Lyness and Huey came on. In his second over Lyness caused Bushby to mishit on the leg side and Hunter caught him on the boundary. 36-3-24. At 49 the off-spinner made a neat caught and bowled to dismiss Doggart. At 61 Tinkler gave Finlay the first of three catches at short leg, this time at backward short leg. Bernard had been batting menacingly well. He hit eight fours and eventually hit Huey out of the attack after bowling 10 overs for 20 runs, six of his first seven overs being maidens. Bernard and Duff, who only made three, added 32 for the sixth wicket and then both fell at 93. Bernard, after making 42 in 55 minutes, gave Finlay a catch at backward short leg and Finlay at leg slip caught Duff off Hunter who had replaced Huey. Cooke and Gibson put 100 up and at once Cooke was caught by Huey at forward short leg. Hall was bowled by Hunter at 108 and Huey took another catch at forward short leg to dismiss Gibson off Lyness at 109. The match ended at 3:45 PM. In 16.1 overs Lyness had taken 6-39 on a wicket which greatly suited him. All his wickets were catches - four of them in the classic short-leg area. So young O'Riordan, in his second match as captain, had steered Ireland to victory.

College Park, Dublin