CricketEurope Ireland logo
2019 Miscellaneous
News & Reports Photos Audio

2019 StatsZones
2019 Premier League
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

AJ O'Riordan, NC Cantwell and R O'Brien were not available for this match. Indeed, O'Brien died at the early age of 26 in late August of this year. Of the team as selected NC Cantwell was unavailable and was replaced by CV Corry to make his debut.

This was the 40th match between the countries and produced a high-scoring draw, the 16th draw between the sides and each side has won 12 matches. Glorious sunshine and the best wicket possibly ever seen in College Park conspired to give batsmen the complete upper hand throughout the match. 875 runs were scored and only 19 wickets fell. J Aitchison scored a wonderful 190 not out, the highest score ever made for Scotland and beating John Kerr's 178, also against Ireland in 1923. In reply Bergin scored his first century for Ireland and, incidentally, the highest score ever made for Ireland in College Park. It was also the highest score against Scotland in Ireland and the highest score by any Irish batsman in Ireland since AD Comyn's 157 against I Zingari at Phoenix in 1896.

For this game Scotland had 10 "old" caps and one newcomer, MH Denness. Denness was still in school and was the first schoolboy to be capped by Scotland. His innings of 47 was impressive for one so young. Bodell and Duffy were recalled to the Irish team, neither having played since 1957, and H Martin was again available on his return from Canada. The most startling decision, however, was the dropping of F Fee, the off-spinner who in 12 games to date had taken 53 wickets. He was bowling badly at club level and also did little in the North v South trial and KW Hope was preferred to him.

Cosh won the toss for Scotland and Chisholm and Dudman opened to the bowling of Bodell and Hunter. Bodell has slowed down a lot and neither bowler presented much difficulty. 50 came up in 75 minutes but Huey's introduction into the attack completely stopped the scoring at one end. On the stroke of 1:30 PM, in his 17th over, Huey had Dudman caught at silly mid-off for 34 out of 70. Huey had conceded only seven runs in these 17 overs and bowled nine maidens in a row at one stage. In the two hours between lunch and tea 122 runs were scored for the loss of Chisholm's wicket - he being well held by Corry at extra cover off Huey for 51 made in just over 2 hours. The new ball was taken half an hour before tea and Aitchison reached his 50 in 103 minutes after being missed by McCloy at leg slip when 46. Denness kept Aitchison company while 144 were added for the third wicket. He batted sedately and cut well. After tea Aitchison really "let fly" and in two hours 163 runs were scored. Huey's figures after 35 overs were 2-33 but even he could not contain the rampant Aitchison who scored his second 50 in only 43 minutes, giving him 100 in 146 minutes.

His third 50 took 70 minutes and his last 40 took only 24 minutes. He crashed five towering 6's into the trees - most of them on the rise and using plenty of right hand. At 237 he lost Denness, caught at silly mid-off, and Barr was stumped off Hope one run later. Allan came in at 5:15 PM and in the remaining 75 minutes 117 runs were scored. Allan made a strangely subdued 31 not out. He was missed very early by Corry at mid-off. Corry, incidentally, is a young man still in his teens who shaped well as an opening bat in the Trial game. Huey bowled 57 overs and took 3-103 while Hope took 1-45 in 27 overs. More use might have been made of Duffy and towards the end McCloy was given one over of leg breaks which conceded 15 runs and two of Aitchison's 6's.

Scotland had declared before play on Monday and Ireland occupied the crease all day and scored 292-6 in 390 minutes. At one stage, before tea, the score stood at 175-1 and it looked as if a first innings lead would be achieved, but this situation deteriorated in the last session of the day. However, it was a splendid reply. Bergin and McCloy opened and by lunch the score was 75-0. The pace of Barr, Wilson and Roberts and the spin of Allan and Livingstone all had no effect on this perfect wicket and it was left to Chisholm, an occasional bowler of leg breaks, to take the first wicket. McCloy pulled a short ball and Aitchison made a good low catch at deep square leg. 94-1-37. Bergin went to his 50 in 136 minutes but had been missed just before and just after this landmark by Brown, the usually reliable wicket-keeper. 100 came in 144 minutes and with Martin batting well 150 went up in 216 minutes. The new ball proved Martin's downfall, he being caught at leg slip off Wilson at 175 for a well played 39. Bergin hit the last ball before tea for four and thereby went from 99 to 103. His century took 260 minutes.

Corry was caught at slip at 198 but Warke and Bergin kept the score moving until Bergin, visibly tiring, skied Roberts to cover and was out for 137 shortly after 6 PM. He had batted five hours and 40 minutes and hit 16 fours. 247-4-137. Hunter scored a gay 21 in 29 minutes including a mighty six and at the close of play Duffy, 13, and Hope, 5, were together.

As there were only 4 hours play possible on the third day a draw was inevitable. Ireland's four remaining wickets added only 26 runs in 45 minutes. Duffy, last out, scored 22. Scotland, therefore, led by 37. They did not make a very good job of forcing the pace. Chisholm and Dudman ran well between the wickets but, at 36, Bodell in his sixth over caught and bowled Dudman and three balls later bowled Aitchison, who was attempting to drive, for 0. At 57 Bodell had Cosh, who was looking dangerous, caught at cover. At lunch the score was 90-3, Chisholm only managing 38 in 90 minutes.

The declaration came at 3:40 PM after Chisholm had made his second 50 of the match. The task for Ireland was 158 in 82 minutes. It was never attempted, perhaps wisely. The five regular Scottish bowlers were tried without success and it was Chisholm who again dismissed McCloy with only eight minutes to go. He was stumped after scoring 31 out of 78 in 74 minutes. Bergin, after scoring at a very fast pace for him, made no real effort to reach his 50 and was 49 not out at the end of the match.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]