CricketEurope Ireland logo
2019 Miscellaneous
News & Reports Photos Audio

2019 StatsZones
2019 Premier League
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

Those who braved the showers and came to watch this match saw some quick scoring and a very respectable batting display by Ireland. Reid might have given Ireland a fairer target than 183 runs in 115 minutes and, by so doing, he would also have given his own bowlers a chance to bowl Ireland out. Quinn and Neville provided great entertainment and the crowd were well satisfied. McCloy and Huey who had played in Belfast were not available for Ireland and were replaced by Neville and Burke. For New Zealand, Harford, Alabaster and Blair were replaced by Meale, Cave and Moir.

Warke won the toss and put New Zealand in. The weather was very poor and play did not begin until 11:50 AM and, indeed, it rained during the first 20 minutes of play. Miller and Meale, two left-handers, opened to Scott and Burke. Rain became too heavy at 12:10 PM and there was a half hour break. Immediately on resuming Scott had Meale taken at leg slip by Finlay. 17-1-6. Reid came in and the second wicket did not fall until 145 runs were added. Reid was first out and made 103 out of 145. The conditions favoured batting but Reid was scintillating. He reached 50 in 45 minutes and 100 in just over 110 minutes. He had seven fours and a six in his first 51 runs and he added a further six and five more fours in his second 50. His footwork and power of stroke were too much for the Irish bowlers and Huey was greatly missed. Reid completed his century with a four and gave himself up by hitting a high catch to long-on next ball. It was well held by O'Brien. Scott returned to dispose of Playle and Sparling and, at 182-4, Reid declared. Miller had batted throughout the 2 hours of the innings for 64 not out. Scott, with his late wickets, returned 3-33 in 9.1 overs but Fee could make little of the dead wicket. Quinn was given eight overs which cost 44 runs and it does appear that a long and costly spell was an extravagance.

O'Brien and Quinn batted well for 50 minutes to MacGibbon, Cave and Moir, a legspinner. O'Brien was given a life by Moir at short leg early on but, at 34, O'Brien repeated the stroke and Moir caught him this time for 12. MacGibbon very nearly got Neville several times in the same over and, eventually, Neville scored a single over gully's head. Sparling and Moir were soon sharing the bowling but the ball was not turning. Quinn and Neville drove very well and pierced the field many times. Hayes was tried but three overs cost him 15 runs. In just over 40 minutes 54 runs were scored before Quinn was stumped by Petrie off Moir for 43. Cantwell came in intent on giving Neville the strike so that he might get his 50. Reid helped by putting on non-bowlers like D'Arcy, Playle and Meale. On the second ball of what might have been the last over Neville scored a single to bring his score to 47. Cantwell quite deliberately ran himself out to give Neville the strike back. Warke trotted to the wicket and saw Neville get a two and a single off the last two balls of the game to complete a grand 50 in only 65 minutes, containing six fours. His driving was very powerful as befitted a tall and strong man. It was another case of a substitute making good. MacGibbon, a very tall seam bowler, bowled 12 overs for 11 runs in his spell during the first hour. However, Moir was expensive conceding 48 runs in 13 overs. The century partnership between Miller and Reid was the first at College Park since 1952. Neville's half-century was the first by an Irish batsman at College Park since Ingram scored 54 against the Indians in 1952.

College Park, Dublin