CricketEurope Ireland logo
2019 Miscellaneous
News & Reports Photos Audio

2019 StatsZones
2019 Premier League
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

Cantwell was fit to play in this game and he replaced Bergin, who had been injured in the Belfast game.

On a cold and wet day well over 2000 people paid 300 to see the West Indies. There was only one over bowled before 2:50 PM. Then West Indies hit up 140 in 108 minutes and bowled out Ireland for 61 with five minutes to spare. Bergin was unable to play for Ireland due to his hand injured in the Belfast game and Findlay was brought into the team. Cantwell was able to play on this occasion, whatever the precise reasons behind his absence in Belfast.

Worrell captained the West Indies and the manager, de Caires, also played as did OG Smith. Walcott, Atkinson and Valentine all stood down. Ramadan and Weekes were both injured and unable to play in either game. Worrell very sportingly allowed Warke to decide who should bat first and Warke sent the West Indies in. Warke bowled a maiden at 11:25 AM and then there was no further play until 3 PM. There were pools on the wicket at noon but the ends were covered by new covers.

Asgarali and Kanhai opened, very briskly! Kenny conceded 24 runs in his first three overs, in the third of which he had Kanhai caught. 30-1-23. This was after only 14 minutes play. Pairaudeau was next and he appeared to have been caught at leg-slip by Cantwell but was given not out. He then played a very patient innings. Warke and Kenny bowled five overs each and then Fee and Huey came on. In Fee's third over, Asgarali was caught at long-on by O'Brien for a freely hit 36. 66-2-36. Worrell was very subdued and Huey, in particular, bowled very accurately. The third wicket added 24 in 36 minutes when Worrell hit out at Fee and was beautifully caught by Pollock at long-on out on the boundary. Smith hit Huey for a four but guided him to mid-on two balls later. 100-4-4. Huey, after bowling 10 overs for 20 runs, and taking a wicket in his last over, was taken off and replaced by Duffy. At 123 the patient Pairaudeau gave Eager a difficult catch at extra-cover which was taken. Sobers scored 18 in 19 minutes and then gave Eager his second catch, this time at mid-wicket. When Hall was out at 140 Worrell declared. Hall's wicket gave Cantwell his third good catch and Duffy his first wicket for Ireland. Tea was taken between the innings and Ireland were set 141 to get in 90 minutes.

Marks opened with O'Brien and the former concentrated completely on defence so we had no hope of getting the runs. This being so, the middle batsmen were, one fears, a little too impetuous. Sobers and Asgarali shared the bowling, although the latter rarely bowls. Sobers had O'Brien caught at the wicket in his first over and Eager was LBW to Asgarali at three. Finlay, at 13, and Warke, at 23, were both victims of Asgarali. Pollock joined Marks and at 6:05 PM the score had been taken to 50-4 and were only 25 minutes left. However, there was now a complete collapse. Smith had come on for Asgarali and the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth wickets fell with the total at 50. Sobers took three of these in 8 balls and Smith one. At 6:25 PM Sobers bowled Duffy with his quicker ball, he is normally a slow left-hander, to finish the match. Sobers took 5-43 in 17.5 overs.

This match should have been a draw as there was little excuse for the Irish collapse. The fielding and catching on both sides were superb and was not a single extra in either innings. The West Indies were a very friendly and pleasant team and promised a return visit in 1964.

College Park, Dublin