CricketEurope Ireland logo
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

SSJ Huey was not available for this match. From the original team as selected CJM Kenny cried off and was replaced by GA Duffy. FSA Hewitt was not available to replace Kenny.

On a featherbed wicket and with two weak bowling sides this match was a draw. Only 21 wickets fell in the three full days play. It was rather a dull game as Ireland strove to draw the match after the huge Scottish total of 411 for 6 declared in their first innings. This was the second time in three innings against Ireland that Scotland had totalled over 400. For this match Ireland dropped JS Pollock from both the captaincy and the team. However, the new captain, Kenny, was unable to play due to a knee injury and L Warke became captain. Of the new caps Cantwell had already played Soccer for Ireland. Scotland gave a new cap to WDF Dow and a notable event was the absence of WA Edward. He had gone to a new job in America. He had captained Scotland since 1950 and his country had never lost to Ireland in that period.

The wicket was true and easy when Scotland won the toss. They scored 325-4 on the first day and held a commanding position. The Irish attack, without Kenny, was a very limited one. Ferris, Bodell and Warke plugged away; Duffy was economical but Hool was disappointing. Chisholm and Dudman began very slowly. In 100 minutes only 43 were scored against an accurate attack. Then Chisholm glanced Ferris and Fawcett took a wide and low catch on the leg side. Barr came in and might have been run out had Duffy's throw from cover point equalled his pick-up. The lunch score was 65-1. After lunch the rate quickened. Both players scored well on the leg side, particularly off Hool. At 123 Duffy came on and the scoring rate was checked. Ferris returned and at 139 Dudman tried to pull a short ball, got a slight touch, and Fawcett took a neat catch standing back.

JN Kemsley was next. He had first been capped in 1955 against Ireland when he came in at the last moment for RJ Nichol. Kemsley has scored 100 against MCC a week ago. At tea the two were still together and the score was 200. In the remaining two hours play Scotland scored 125 more runs for the loss of two more wickets. This indicated reasonably steady bowling and keen fielding. The new ball was taken and at 221 Caprani took a good catch at mid-on to dispose of Barr for 73. Henderson, a left-hander who had made a century in the 1954 match, made merry and scored 47 out of 68. A brilliant catch by Martin at extra cover disposed of him. Cosh, the new Scottish captain, joined Kemsley and a further 36 were added before stumps were drawn. At close of play Kemsley was 77 not out but he should have gone quicker in the last hour of play. The Irish fielding and catching had been very good - a welcome change from recent years.

Only four wickets fell on the second day, two on each side. Scotland continued to bat for a further 80 minutes and added 86 runs. Cosh made 64 of these by lusty hitting. His 81 not out included four sixes and 10 fours. Ferris bowled Kemsley for 83 at 346 while Dow was run out at 372. Cosh and Brown then had an unfinished stand of 39 of which Brown made four. Ferris took four out of the five wickets that fell to bowlers. He conceded 106 runs in 37 overs. Fawcett had a good wicket-keeping debut taking two catches and allowing only one bye.

Ireland began with a very high partnership for the first wicket. Martin and Bergin stayed together for 4 hours and put on 148 runs. Runs were not of great importance so the batting was sensible rather than attractive. By lunch 37 had been scored in 45 minutes and, at tea, the score was 107. After it the scoring might have been pushed along a little quicker against a tired Scottish attack. Both batsmen gave chances, Martin to Drummond off his own bowling and Bergin in the gully off Henderson.

Martin also survived two confident appeals for catches at the wicket. The previous second-highest opening partnership of 118 was passed. It has stood since 1889 when FH Browning and E Fitzgerald created it against the Philadelphians on the Phoenix ground. It was 5:45 PM when Bergin played inside a ball from Lawrence and was bowled. Bergin had been restored to the team after missing the game at Lords last season. Warke came in and played some good strokes before being beaten by Dow at 168. Caprani and Martin played out the last 15 minutes, only one run being scored and that by Caprani. One felt that Martin might have tried for his century. He had been batting for almost five hours and was 84 not out.

The remaining eight Irish wickets only added 107 and at two stages a defeat loomed. 262 were required to save the follow-on and, at one stage, the score was 252-8. Then, in the second innings, four wickets were down for 45 with an hour to go. Both situations were saved and, in the end, the perfect wicket triumphed over the bowlers.

Martin only added 4 to his overnight score and he was run out at 178 through a misunderstanding in calling with Caprani. This gave Scotland the initiative and, at 183, Dow had Caprani LBW. Cantwell and Lewis put on 31 for the fifth wicket. Chisholm had been tried at Lewis who, in attempting to pull him, gave mid-on a catch. He had made 20. Duffy helped Cantwell add a further 23. Then Cantwell, who had looked well set, played outside Henderson and was bowled. 237-6-31. 25 were still needed to save the follow-on-on. At 245 Duffy, who had batted an hour for four, was caught at slip and seven runs later Hool was bowled. Both these wickets fell to slow left-hander Kerrigan. Fawcett and Ferris added nine of the 10 required to save the follow-on and then went to lunch. The vital run was scored after lunch and 14 more besides. Kerrigan took the last two wickets and finished the best of the seven Scottish bowlers with 4-45 in 47 overs, of which 29 were maidens. Ireland made 276 off 164 overs, a rate of one and a half runs per over.

Scotland went into bat again with a lead of 135. Chisholm, Dudman and Barr hit up 54 runs in 27 minutes before Scotland declared. Ireland were then set 190 to win in 115 minutes. The attempt was made, Warke opening with Martin. The pace could not be forced against Lawrence and Dow. The former bowled Warke, one, when the total was five and Martin, six, was caught at the wicket off Dow when the total was nine. Lewis came in at number 4 to join Caprani but the Scottish attack was never collared. Lewis played some good shots but was caught and bowled by Drummond for 12 with the total had reached 28. Bergin came in now and the "shutters went up". Tea was taken at 38-3. 10 minutes after tea, Caprani, who had been scoring well, pulled a short ball from Kerrigan straight to Henderson at square leg. 45-4-19. With an hour to go Cantwell joined Bergin and no further risks were taken. 31 runs were added and both were not out at the close.