CricketEurope Ireland logo
2019 Miscellaneous
News & Reports Photos Audio

2019 StatsZones
2019 Premier League
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

This match should have been the second game of the season. A match against Yorkshire had been scheduled for Belfast in June. However, due to a rail strike the Yorkshire team was unable to travel and the game was not played. For this match against Scotland the team played as selected.

For the sixth successive year WA Edward led Scotland against Ireland and, so far, Scotland have yet to lose his annual game under his captaincy. The weather before and during this game was warm and very dry. The wicket had not been watered sufficiently and it quickly crumbled. It was ideal on the second afternoon for Allan's left-arm spinners and the Oxford Blue took 6-17 in 18.1 overs. He said after the game that he would like to carry this pitch about with him! Ireland's plight should not have been as bad as it was. They totalled 153 and had seven Scottish wickets down for 158 but the last three wickets were allowed to add 114 runs. Pollock's field placings and bowling changes were not the best at this stage but an injured back had, perhaps, taken from Pollock's concentration. If Ireland had been able to set Scotland to make 100 perhaps Huey would have emulated Allan's feat. As against this, however, Huey had been rather negative in Scotland's innings. There were no new caps in the Irish team but Marks and O'Brien were both playing in Dublin for the first time. Caprani had been recalled after a five-year absence. Scotland introduced R Wilson, LC Dudman and JN Kemsley, the latter at the last minute when RJ Nichol withdrew.

The first day was rather even. Ireland made 153 and Scotland reached 77-3. A large crowd watched in glorious weather. O'Brien and Bergin began to the bowling of Edward and Drummond. O'Brien scored 8 of the first 9 runs and was then caught at the wicket by Brown off Edward. Seven runs later Warke played a poor stroke and was bowled by Drummond. Bergin, who took 34 minutes to open his score, was now joined by Caprani. It was just on the lunch interval when Bergin was bowled by Edward (now bowling off spinners) without playing a shot. He had batted almost 90 minutes for 25 runs. 45-3. Pollock joined Caprani and the score was 47-3. In 53 minutes after lunch the pair added a further 53 runs, the best batting of the innings. Pollock, however, never really looked settled and when the score was exactly 100 he was caught at the wicket off Drummond for 19. Four runs later Caprani's gay innings ended when he hit a half-volley with great force back at Kerrigan. The bowler jumped and took a fine left-handed catch. Caprani had batted 108 minutes for 44. The rest, except Martin, gave no real trouble. Martin was very subdued spending 80 minutes over his 19. His tactics were at fault when he made no attempt to hit out or "farm" the bowling when numbers 10 and 11 were in. Indeed, Bodell, at number 11, batted as well as anyone. Edward, bowling mostly off spinners, took 4-51 in 29 overs. Kerrigan, a slow left-hander, took 2-17 in 12 overs.

The Scottish opening pair, Chisholm and Wilson, were both out when the total was six. Kenny swung one away from Chisholm and bowled him while, next over, Warke caught Wilson at slip off Bodell. Aitchison and Dudman set about to repair the damage and had added 42 in 70 minutes before Dudman was caught at the wicket off Huey. 48-3-7 Allan joined Aitchison and in the remaining 40 minutes added a further 29 runs. At the close Aitchison was 33 not out and Allan 14 not out. Huey had so far bowled 12 overs for only six runs.

Almost at once on the second day Aitchison was caught at slip by Warke off Kenny. 78-4-34. In the next 38 minutes Allan and the adventurous Cosh put on 51 runs before a good catch at deep point by Bergin off Bowden dismissed Allan. 129-5-34. Edward was next and Kenny worried him early on. Scotland went into a first innings lead and then Cosh was out when Warke dived forward from short leg to catch him off Kenny. At 158 Kenny bowled Drummond for three. The game was now evenly poised but soon the advantage was to become Scotland's. Edward and Kemsley added 30 and then at 188 Edward was stumped off Huey for 28. Brown came in at number 10 and the ninth wicket took the score to 217 when Kemsley was caught at the wicket off Kenny who had taken the new ball just after lunch. Then came Kerrigan and the stand of 55 for the last wicket. Pollock had missed Brown early on but in all the wicket-keeper batted 90 minutes for a dashing 55. Warke bowled for the first time at 272 and his second ball bowled Brown. Kerrigan was left 18 not out. Kenny had bowled very well before lunch but then seemed to tire. He took 5-111 in 39 overs.

Scotland's lead was 119 and Pollock would be unable to bat due to an injured back. O'Brien and Bergin started brightly scoring 28 runs in 27 minutes. Then Bergin swung rather wildly at Edward and was bowled. 28-1-5. Tea was taken at 35-1. After tea Cambridge and Oxford in the persons of O'Brien and Allan battled it out. O'Brien, seeing the wicket was breaking up, tried to gather what runs he could but Allan tied him down and most of his runs came off Kerrigan. At 55 Warke was LBW to Allan for 16 and Caprani hit his wicket at 57 after hitting a ball which went to the boundary. Martin stayed while O'Brien hit about him. At 76 Allan bowled O'Brien a very short ball which the batsmen failed to hit properly and a magnificent catch by Kemsley at mid-wicket ended his innings. In 94 minutes he had made 49 out of a total of 76. 76 for three quickly became 95 all out as Allan and Kerrigan spun their way through the middle and tail. Allan finished with 6-18, the last four for only three runs.

College Park, Dublin