CricketEurope Ireland logo
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

The originally selected team left the last place to be filled by F Quinn or McFarlane. McFarlane proved unable to play and so Quinn filled the spot. McKibben cried off and was replaced by new cap Bergin.

This was perhaps the most astounding cricket ever seen in this country. For the first time since 1925 a first class match was begun and finished in a single day. Bowlers held at the mastery to an astonishing degree, 32 wickets falling at an average cost of less than seven runs each. As may be gathered, the pitch was all against batsmen and in the Irish second innings Cowie, as his analysis of six wickets for three runs indicates, proved well nigh unplayable. All summer the Irish batting had been clearly weak and not at all up to the standard of the bowling. In the first innings the slow bowlers did most of the damage and ineffective and defensive play by the Irish batsmen made their task easy. In the second innings Cowie had the batsmen so tied in knots by his fast swingers that a cheer greeted every successful defensive stroke. With the exceptions of Lambert, in the first innings, and Ingram, in the second innings, no home batsmen gave the slightest impression that he would stay for long. The out cricket was a different matter. JH Barnes and Ganly were competent new ball bowlers. Boucher and Ingram did the real damage, the captain returning remarkable figures. He was coming very fast off the pitch and his slower ball, cleverly disguised, gave him two or three wickets. Ingram puzzled the batsmen with his spinners and 18 of the 24 runs hit off him in 10 overs came from three shots by Mervyn Wallace.

The early dismissal of Frank Connell was an omen of what was to follow and although Bergin, RJ Barnes and Boucher made some good shots, seven were out for 52 runs at lunch. Weak defensive strokes were useless against the slow bowlers, Gallichan, slow left-arm, and Moloney, leg-breaks, who were backed up by excellent fielding. Lambert, after lunch, showed what could be done by using his feet and he hit four fours in a spirited 25 not out made in the same number of minutes. The last wicket was responsible for 20 runs, the best stand of the innings.

At 2:45 p.m. Moloney and Carson opened for New Zealand. The start was cautious and JH Barnes conceded only one run in his first four overs. When the score was 12 Ganly bowled Carson with a ball which swung in a lot. Boucher came on at 18 and in his second over he beat Moloney all the way. Wallace came in and hit a six off Ingram and then Boucher had Weir lbw at 30. In the next over Ingram bowled Martin Donnelly and Roberts with successive balls. At 46 Lamason was bowled by Boucher. Wallace meanwhile had hit Ingram for two further sixes and then he, too, fell to Boucher, lbw for 20. In his 12th over Boucher took the last three wickets for no runs and his final analysis were 7-13 in 12 overs with five maidens.

Holding a lead of 15 Ireland went in again after tea. This was a tragic display which lasted for 63 minutes. Cowie and Roberts opened the bowling and in his second over Cowie bowled Connell who thus "bagged a pair". Frank Quinn and JH Barnes also qualified for this unenviable distinction. Cowie went off after bowling two overs and Carson came on bowling medium pace. In his first over he dismissed both Bergin and Shearer. At 16 RJ Barnes foolishly ran himself out. Meanwhile Cowie had changed ends and had bowled two maiden overs. In his fifth over he really got to work. His first and second balls riddled Boucher and Lambert respectively; his third ball beat Frank Quinn but grazed the stumps; the fourth would have uprooted Quinn's middle stump had he not got his leg in the way to be out lbw. Ganly survived the remaining two balls while at the other end Carson bowled a maiden over to Ingram. Then came Cowie again and his first ball bowled Ganly while JH Barnes was caught off the second. Cowie had thus taken five wickets for no runs in eight balls and, in all, bowled a 24 ball spell for six wickets and one run. Nine wickets were now down for 18 runs although the score at one time had stood at 18 for four. Ingram was still in and with Cuffe keeping a straight bat the former got a few runs before mistiming a full toss from Gallichan who had replaced Carson. Ingram had scored 15 out of 30 in 54 minutes. There were eight "ducks" in the innings. Cowie's final figures were eight overs five maidens three runs and six wickets!

The New Zealanders required 46 to win. Still the surprises were not ended. Boucher opened the bowling and with his third ball he had Carson caught by Cuffe without a run being scored. Tom Lowry came in and Cuffe missed him off Boucher before he had scored. Many good judges claim that if that catch had been held Ireland would have won the game. However, Moloney and Lowry made the game safe by taking the score to 41 in shaky fashion. R Barnes had relieved Boucher at 38 and in his second over he had Moloney leg before for 14. At 6:48 p.m. Lowry hit the winning run and the New Zealanders had achieved victory by eight wickets in what was a remarkable game. Lowry's 30 not out was the highest score of the match and was a very fine performance by the tour manager and former captain. Lowry captained the team in this game as Page was indisposed after the first innings.

Rathmines, Dublin