CricketEurope Ireland logo
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

This team of Sir Julian Cahn's contained two notable players. RWV Robins, who wrought havoc with the Irish batsman, had played in the first two Tests against the Australians in this summer of 1930 and John Gunn, who was 54 on the first day of the game, had played for England between 1901 and 1905. There were two games to be played, one in Dublin and one in Belfast. Of the team selected for the Dublin game only four of the original team actually played. They were Kelly, Dixon, McVeagh and Shires.

Heavy rain limited the first day's cricket to one hour and 50 minutes. Ireland did very well to take eight wickets for 73 runs in this time considering the bowlers had to use a wet ball. The opening pair looked like getting going but Boucher, relieving Douglas, got both of them. RD Lambert, a son of the famous Bob Lambert, coming on for Dixon, got two cheap wickets and John Gunn got only eight before Boucher had him stumped. The Irish fielding was very good and Kelly, the captain, was, as ever, excellent behind the stumps.

The large attendance on the second day saw fascinating cricket. The last two wickets of Cahn's team gave great trouble. They added 98 runs in 40 minutes. Salmondson was chiefly responsible for this. He, Robins and Flood all punished the Irish bowling and Salmondson was unbeaten at the end with 58 scored in 40 minutes. Boucher ended with 7-72 although when the day began his figures were 6-28. None of the home batsmen except Ganly and McVeagh could do anything against Robins's leg-breaks and googlies. McVeagh, at number three, was run out for 16. Ganly, at number seven, was not out 43 when the innings closed. With the lead of 64 the visitors went in again and had scored 135-7 by the close of play. No one gave any real trouble except Nicholas, Essex, who scored 67 by brisk hitting. The opening pair were both run out and Boucher bowled Gunn for nine.

On the last day the three remaining wickets fell quickly for 22 runs and Ireland were set 222 to win. At one point they appeared likely to get the runs as 100 went up with only four wickets down. But the later batsmen failed and in 150 minutes the innings was over for 170 runs. McVeagh made a great effort for his side and batted 2 hours for his 62 which included five boundaries. Ganly, hero of the first innings, had this time a merry but short innings of 16. He hit Robins for two sixes and a four before being bowled by the England player. Loughery helped McVeagh to and 44 for the seventh wicket. Robins was at times expensive but bowled cleverly and took 5-60, a match analysis of 11-79.

College Park, Dublin