CricketEurope Ireland logo
2019 Miscellaneous
News & Reports Photos Audio

2019 StatsZones
2019 Premier League
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

This match was very similar to that played at Glasgow in 1922. In that game Ireland, at the finish, were three runs short of victory with four wickets in hand. In the 1927 encounter Ireland found themselves needing only two to win and there were six wickets to fall when the match ended. In glorious weather a big crowd watched the first day's play. Chief thanks for Ireland's happy position at the end of the day were due to Dixon and James Macdonald who together bowled out the Scots for 129. The Trinity man, Dixon, came on as a substitute. He was one of three who came on, himself Robinson and Hill replacing Colthurst H.Jackson and Walker. Dixon completely tied up the Scottish batsmen with his swinging deliveries. In fact, the whole game proved to be a magnificent debut for Dixon. Macdonald's lefthanded leg breaks were also very puzzling to the batsmen.

Both bowlers came on before the first wicket fell, and they remained on until the end. It had rained all week in Dublin but the wicket had been covered so when Scotland won the toss they batted. Kerr and Stephenson put 25 up in 20 minutes. At 38 Stephenson was bowled by Macdonald. After his dismissal the innings became a series of disasters. Macdonald got Mackay and Collins cheaply and when Dixon had Paterson caught in the slips four wickets were down for 82. At lunch the score was 90-4 with Kerr 56 not out. The remaining six wickets added only 39, and the innings closed for 129 after 3 hours. But for a splendid innings by Scotland's leading batsmen, Kerr, it would have been a much sorrier show. Kerr was ninth out after batting for three hours and 10 minutes. It was a masterly display with only one chance, a difficult slip chance when he was 10. The Irish fielding ably backed the two wicket takers and Kelly shone behind the stumps.

Ireland made 106-3 before stumps were drawn. McVeagh and Bookman put on 42 before the Leinster man was run out through a misunderstanding. Ganly came in but lost McVeagh at 67 and soon afterwards Macdonald was bowled by a googly from Scobie. Ganly, now hitting out freely, was joined by Heaslip and together they played out time, Ganly being 35 not out.

As a mark of respect to the memory of Kevin O'Higgins, the Irish Cricket Union postponed the start on Monday to 2:30 p.m. O'Higgins had been murdered on the Sunday.

The last seven Irish wickets fell for 139 runs on the second afternoon. This meant a lead of 116 which was all but wiped out by the Scottish opening pair before the close of play. Ganly just reached 50 before being caught in the deep. He had batted two and half hours. Heaslip batted prettily for his 36 while Robinson also played stylish cricket for a while. The lead would have been much less if Dixon and Lambert had not added 46 for the last wicket despite numerous bowling changes. Lambert batted over an hour for his 18 not out.

Kerr and Stephenson batted through the remaining two hours. With the score at 96 bad light stopped play. Kerr got the bigger share of the runs, 60, and gave a delightful display. He played with great confidence and his placing was splendid. Stevenson was 32 not out. For the keen finish on the third day one must thank Paterson, the Scottish captain, who, after his side had recovered from an almost hopeless position, made a sporting declaration. He left Ireland two hours to get 175 runs. The Scottish opening pair wiped out the first-innings deficit and the score was 123 before Stevenson was bowled by Macdonald for 45. Macdonald always had him worried in his 2 hours stay. Kelly snapped up Mackay for one but Collins proved a useful partner for Kerr and the score went to 191 before Dixon bowled Collins for 34. Kerr reached his century after 3 hours and went on until, when 136, he was bowled by a ball from Dixon that had him in two minds. He gave a difficult chance when 12 but his display lasting four hours was a grand one. Paterson made some lovely strokes and was unbeaten with 30 when he declared. The Scottish innings had lasted five hours.

Accepting the Scottish challenge, the home batsmen went for the runs in great style. Heaslip and Bookman opened and started to hit. Bookman then lashed out at Smith and was bowled. 23-1-7. Ganly lost no time in getting to work and the score was 73 when he was run out attempting a third run. Kelly and Seymour gave little trouble and when Dixon joined Heaslip four were out for 102. 73 runs were wanted in the remaining 35 minutes. Both went for the runs but time just foiled them. Heaslip's 92 occupied two hours. He took every risk and played delightful forcing cricket, most of his strokes being in front of the wicket. Dixon's 31 was an innings of confidence and freedom. But for Ganly's run out, Ireland would have certainly won.

College Park, Dublin