CricketEurope Ireland logo
2019 Miscellaneous
News & Reports Photos Audio

2019 StatsZones
2019 Premier League
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

A further match had been arranged to be played, after the MCC game, on August 12 and 13th at Maidenhead, before the match against Wales at Llandudno. However, this match, against Mr Martineau's XI, was washed out without a ball being bowled.

Initially the same team had been picked for all three matches, though for the second two games it would be reconsidered. In fact, Heaslip and Pollock both had to return home after the MCC game and were replaced for Mr Martineau's game by Sugden and Finlay Jackson. The same team was kept for the game against Wales.

This was a most disappointing game for Ireland. They had done very well to beat Scotland and MCC but they failed lamentably in this last match of the year. Five professionals were on the Welsh team and was agreed that in future the Welsh team should be an all-amateur one although, indeed, two amateurs, Riches and Raikes, played a predominant part in this year's game. As in 1924, the game was over in two days. The first day was all in favour of the home team. Ireland were dismissed for 151 and Wales were 190 with only two wickets down at close of play. The wicket was perfectly good when Ireland batted but Mercer bowled with deadly effect. The first four Irishmen got 122 between them, but the remaining seven only contributed another 21.

Walton and Ganly opened and runs came steadily until Clay had Ganly caught at the wicket with his first ball. Parry came in and over 40 runs were added before Walton was bowled by Ryan after batting 100 minutes for his 48. With the score at 89, and with the last ball before lunch, Ryan bowled Parry. After lunch Mercer took the remaining seven wickets. In this spell he bowled nine overs for 11 runs and seven wickets. The collapse was complete and only Kelly could do anything against his bowling, and that was little else than surviving although he did manage to score 41, mostly off Ryan. The innings lasted 2 hours. In reply Riches and Bell put on 42 before Bell got in front to Aston. Riches was then joined by Mallalieu and together they defied the Irish attack in a prolific partnership. Eight bowlers were tried but the pair batted on and on until the last over of the day when Mallalieu was bowled by Allen for 66. Riches was 95 not out when play ended. The Irish fielding was keen but the bowling lacked sting, although Lambert bowled 22 overs, off which only 31 runs were scored.

On the second day Davies should have been out before scoring, the first of four dropped catches during the morning. Riches completed his century after batting for three hours. After scoring 114 he was dismissed when Parry held a hot return. Clay was smartly caught by Kelly who a few overs later caught Rowlands, both off Aston's bowling. Aston then took two more wickets and the end quickly came. Aston's 5-58 in 31 overs was a very good performance. The Irish second innings was a procession until Finlay Jackson, at number 10, redeemed it from complete failure. In half an hour of devil-may-care cricket he got 44 and added 59 for the ninth wicket with Aston who contributed 14. Jackson was not out at the finish, after seeing the team's total into three figures. The destroying agent this time was Raikes whose figures were 16-6-28-7. For the third successive innings, a Welsh bowler had taken seven Irish wickets.