CricketEurope Ireland logo
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

The Irish team to play Scotland showed two changes from the originally selected team. J.C.Walton and W.Pollock withdrew and were replaced by J.B.Ganly and W.Allen.

Although Scotland were not able to field their full side, the team which did come put up a splendid performance and helped to provide the most enjoyable cricket seen in Dublin for many years. The weather was delightful and the huge crowd watched the play on all three days, during the course of which no less than 1099 runs were scored. The weather and wicket were perfect when Lambert won the toss on the first day. All day long champagne cricket was provided, runs coming at a rate of 82 per hour. The outstanding feature was the Parry-Kidd partnership for the fourth wicket. Parry was playing in his first international match and had the distinction of scoring a century. What is more, he made his 124 in a few minutes under two hours. It was a brilliant display and never did the bowling trouble him as he drove and hooked freely for two sixes and 17 fours. He gave no actual chances although he put in a few balls in the air near fielders as is inevitable when scoring at such a fast rate. Kidd, also, was masterly. He came in at 69-3 and with Parry added 144 in 75 minutes. Kidd stayed two hours and 10 minutes for 73 without the semblance of a mistake. Five wickets went down for 250 and eight for 282, Lambert being out lbw for 16 and Ganly giving little trouble. It looked now as if 300 would not be reached. Douglas and Hall proved differently and both hit freely in a 70 run partnership. Douglas was bowled by Strong for 36 and at 364 Hall was caught off the same bowler and the innings was over.

Despite the big score and the speed with which it was scored the Scottish attack never became loose and their fielding was brilliant. In the remaining 30 minutes Kerr and Walker scored 46 without loss, Walker getting 30 and Kerr half that number. At the end of the second day Ireland were in an almost unbeatable position, being 261 runs ahead with five wickets in hand. Kerr and Walker continued confidently until Heaslip had Kerr lbw at 67 with a straight one. After 50 minutes play and having batted 80 minutes in all Walker reached his 50. At 105 Aston came on to bowl and with his fourth ball he had Walker caught and bowled for 58, a fine knock scored in 90 minutes. Stevenson and Gardiner then had a capital stand and added 69 more runs before lunch when the score was 174-2. After the stand had yielded 84 Allen clean-bowled Gardiner for 42 and soon afterwards Stevenson, 54, was caught and bowled by the same bowler. 214-5. Innes and Strong then combined in a productive stand which increased the score by 49, but the last five wickets fell for 18 runs, three of them to Kidd. The innings of 281 lasted just over four hours.

With a lead of 83 Ireland went in again with 2 hours left. Kelly and Kidd opened and at 19 Kelly was caught. Parry came in and took a little time to settle down and then the pair scored freely as in the first innings. 94 was reached before Parry was out while attempting to drive after another fine innings. Kidd was next out after batting 100 minutes for 68. Heaslip and Hall were also out before Douglas and Aston played out time at 178-5. In the Scottish innings, the Irish fielding was very good and Kelly was brilliant behind the wicket. Heaslip bowled remarkably well, yielding only 53 runs in 31 overs.

On the last day Ireland were able to set Scotland 359 to win with close on four hours remaining. Credit for this must go to Ganly and Aston who, by putting on 96 runs in 50 minutes for the seventh wicket, enabled an early declaration to be made. The whole team played splendidly on all three days, the batting being excellent and the bowling and fielding likewise convincing. Douglas was out immediately on the restart, failing to add to his overnight 17. Then Ganly and Aston were together and the first half hour yielded 40 runs. Numerous bowling changes were ineffective and off three overs from Gardiner 35 runs were scored. Ganly scored the faster and reached the boundary frequently. He reached 50 in 35 minutes. At 235-6 the declaration came with Ganly 62 not out scored in 50 minutes. Both batsmen were missed off successive balls from Walker when in their 40s. These were the only chances which either batsmen gave in what was the most exhilarating batting display of the match.

Kerr and Walker were out for 27 in the Scottish second innings and a brilliant catch by Heaslip at point accounted for Gardiner at 42. After lunch matters continued to go badly for Scotland and five were out for 72. Innes and Strong made 29 for the sixth wicket, but was not until Hole and Forrester came together in a ninth wicket partnership that the Irish bowlers received a real check. Both took no risks and scored very slowly. When 63 had thus been added, Kidd clean bowled Hole with one of his leg spinners. Simpson fell to a fine low catch by Lambert and the match was over. Heaslip again bowled very well taking 4-44 in 23 overs with 11 maidens.

College Park, Dublin