CricketEurope Ireland logo
2019 Miscellaneous
News & Reports Photos Audio

2019 StatsZones
2019 Premier League
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

Of the team originally selected for this match, there was one change. M Sugden replaced H Jackson. The team was selected in Dublin by Leinster Cricket Union selectors.

Glamorgan players dominated the Welsh side which included six professionals. Pollock, however, practically decided the result of the game in his first few overs during the course of which he took four Welsh wickets while only 15 runs were scored. Eventually the Welshman got to 153 in 2 hours chiefly due to bright batting by Pinch, Davies and Bates. Sugden, coming on late, quickly finished the innings by taking 4-27. Pollock actually took the first four wickets that fell in four overs for 7 runs; Sugden bowled Bates for 23 when he looked well set; Pinch hit well before being caught behind at 90. Arnott and Davies added 35 before Sugden got among the wickets again.

Kelly opened the Irish innings with Pollock and the former's hurricane hitting was responsible for the visitors lead of 42 with five wickets in hand by the close. The power and splendour of Kelly's hitting is reflected best in the fact that Pollock got only 27 out of 106 for the first wicket. Bates had just come on and Pollock was stumped off him and at 128 the same bowler clean-bowled Kelly for 82, scored in as many minutes. Jackson, 23, Ganley, 6, and Lambert, 4, all left before the end of the day which saw Bookman, 29 not out, and Heaslip playing out time.

On the second day Ireland thrashed the Welsh bowling to the tune of 100 runs an hour. The attack was frequently changed but the batsmen gathered runs all round the wicket and when the end came at 418, 2 hours of play still remained. Bookman and Heaslip put on 148 runs for the sixth wicket in two hours. Bookman was then stumped and Arnott quickly dismissed Pickeman and Sugden. Almost at once Heaslip got in front to Ryan and his great knock ended four runs short of a century. He had batted 2 hours and gave no chance. At Heaslip's dismissal the score was 334-9. At lunch it was 346-9. Rain delayed the restart for 80 minutes. Then King and Sproule produced an orgy of hitting so much so that the last wicket had added 84 in 55 minutes before King fell to Mercer.

Wales required 265 to save the innings defeat but they lost three wickets for 29 and defeat stared them in the face at the close of play on day two because seven wickets were down for 130. Only Davies and Stone stood up to the bowling getting 42 and 21 respectively. It took 1 hours on the third morning to get the remaining three wickets. This was due to an eighth wicket partnership of 108 between Riches, who had not opened the innings this time, and Mercer. Riches batted without fault for his 47 not out but Mercer gave three chances in his 71. Eventually Sproule was put back on and quickly had Mercer caught. He followed this by taking two more wickets and thus finishing the innings and giving Ireland a big victory.