CricketEurope Ireland logo
Ireland International Matches Database
Match Report
Derek Scott

This game was dominated by two great events, the magnificent innings on the first day by John Kerr, the Scottish captain, and the remarkable recovery of the Irishmen on the third afternoon when all seemed lost. Scotland were in a very strong position at the end of the opening day when, after five hours and 10 minutes play, the score was 320-5. Kerr batted throughout the day and was 141 not out when stumps were drawn. He was the sheet-anchor of the innings and solidity itself. He gave two chances, one to Jackson when he was 45 and later a difficult stumping chance. These were the only mistakes in a great display. His 50 went up in two hours and he got 100 out of 245 in four hours and 10 minutes. The other opening batsman was Mackay and he was much more enterprising getting 68 out of 98 before the first wicket fell. After lunch the scoring rate slowed and at 134 Lawson was bowled. Stevenson helped to add 66 and on his dismissal, at 208-4, Hole came in and a further 78 were added.

At the close of the second day Ireland had followed on, 202 runs behind the formidable Scottish total of 372, and had made 44 without loss. In the morning the last five Scottish wickets had added 52 runs of which Kerr contributed 37 and at the end was not out for 178 having batted through the innings of 6 hours. His was a masterly exhibition of cricket and included 15 fours. Ireland began by losing Pollock at 9 but Ganley and Heaslip added 56 before Reid took three quick wickets. Half the side were out for 96 of which Heaslip got a meritorious 49. Christie then got three wickets and it was only the 10th wicket that put up any resistance. In this partnership Lambert, who batted very steadily for his undefeated 36, and Pemberton, 17, added 26 to the score. 45 minutes now remained and Ireland, following on, sent in Lambert and Pollock to open. The day ended with a score of 44 for no wicket.

Ireland's recovery began on the third morning. Lambert soon left, as did Heaslip, but Ganley came to join the brilliant Pollock and they took the score to 103 when Ganley was bowled for 15. Pollock reached his 50 in 1 hours and he and Kelly advanced the score to 170 before Kelly was caught at extra cover. Three runs later Pollock was bowled for 81 after batting for three chanceless hours. 173-5. Jackson and Bookman saved the innings defeat. The latter was soon out to Kirk and Hole accounted for Crawfurd, Pigot and Sproule so that when number 11, Pemberton, joined Jackson Ireland were only 23 runs ahead and defeat looked certain. Fickle fortune took a hand on the side of the Shamrock and the last pair added 69 at a very brisk pace before Pemberton was unluckily bowled off his pads. He made 31 while Jackson was unbeaten for a fine 62 in two hours. Lawson and Cranston were the only two Scottish players who did not have a bowl.

Scotland required 93 in 75 minutes. Going for runs Mackay, Phillips and Stevenson found themselves back in the pavilion for 11 runs. Lawson and Kerr made a brief stand before the latter fell to Heaslip and when the end came Scotland were struggling against fine Irish bowling and fielding and were 51-6. A large crowd watched the match in fine weather.

College Park, Dublin