Billed as the game of the day in the NCU Saturday’s Arthur Gallagher Challenge Cup semi final between CIYMS and Waringstown lived up to its billing.
In a game that ebbed and flowed as the afternoon went on finally saw visitors Waringstown get over the line from the last ball chasing the CIYMS target of 291 to win by one wicket.
Waringstown will meet CSNI who defeat Instonians in the other last four game. The final will take place at The Green, Comber on Friday 27th July.
Winning the toss Waringstown captain Greg Thompson asked the home side to bat first.
Phil Eaglestone (2-61) was first to strike removing John Matchett for 9 in the fourth over. Then a partnership of 109 between Chris Dougherty (78) and Nigel Jones (39) set their side a good platform. But in the space of five overs both were gone to spinners Lee Nelson (1-46) and Greg Thompson (1-37) and Gary Kidd bowled a fine spell conceding just 37 runs from his 10 overs.
Another big stand for the fourth wicket between professional Matt McGillivray (73) and Ryan Hunter 48 not out got CI up to a just below par score of 290-5 from 50 overs. Waringstown professional Shaheen Khan (1-63) removed McGillivray and but for a few dropped catches the visitors may have been chasing a much less total.
In the Waringstown reply opener James Hall fell for 13 in the 9th over and soon after James McCollum and Lee Nelson were both back in the pavilion both having scored 4.
Meanwhile opener Adam Dennison (45) was joined by Shaheen Khan and the pair took the score to 105 before Dennison departed lbw to McGillivray as Greg Thompson joined Khan.
They took the score to 158 in the 33rd over before Thompson found the fielder at cow corner for 23 as momentum swung back towards the home side.
Young Marcus McLean now joined Khan and played his finest and most important innings in a Waringstown shirt to date. McLean along with Khan put on 99 for the 6th wicket in 11 overs to bring their side back into the contest.
Khan was dismissed for a magnificent 126 which included 10 boundaries and five maximums.
Ross Waite went the very next ball and Gary Kidd joined McLean and the pair put on 31 before McLean was run out for 42.
Heading into the last over Waringstown sat on 288-8 requiring three runs for victory. A single from Kidd and a wide from Allen Coulter followed by a James Mitchell run out left Waringstown needing one for victory with number 11 Phil Eaglestone on strike. A scrambled bye saw the visitors through with Kidd 6 not out and sparked wild scenes in front of the clubhouse as Waringstown booked their place in the final for the first time since 2014 were they lost to CSNI who they will play next month in the final via the duck worth lewis method.


Waringstown seconds eased to an eight wicket victory over CIYMS seconds at the lawn on Saturday.
Bowling first Stuart Kidd’s side dismissed CI for 189 with Jonny Hunter (3-33), Stuart Harrison (2-33) and Greg Harrison (2-38) taking the wickets to go along with two run outs against 10 man CI.
In reply a splendid 105 from Ben Carson along with Sam Toppings 52 not out saw Waringstown home to an eight wicket victory.

Meanwhile on Sunday the seconds hosted Donemana seconds in the 1/4 final of the Ulster Plate.
Donemana scores 212-6 from their 40 overs with captain Stuart Kidd taking 2-41 and James Mitchell 2-49.
Ross Waite (44) started well in the reply but the home side lost wickets in clumps and Michael Waite (24) was harshly run out when well set and going well.
In the end the seconds were bowled out for 151 to end their interest in this years Ulster Plate.