A magnificent 90 from wicket-keeper batsman Ed Farley inspired Jersey to an 8-wicket victory over arch-rivals Guernsey in the 3r3 place play-off at FB Fields.

Chasing 158, Farley batted majestically with fellow opener Dean Morrison to put on 130 for the first wicket, clearing the boundary on numerous occasions in a destructive display of six-hitting. Guernsey's bowlers could find no answer to Farley's strokeplay, the Jersey opener scoring freely either side of the wicket and regularly clearing the ropes.

The signs had looked ominous for Guernsey from the off as Farley smashed his first maximum off the fourth ball of the Jersey innings, opening bowler Lee Savident's first over going for 15. Farley went on in a similar vein and took a particular liking to the off-spin of Tim Ravenscroft, bringing up his 50 in a mere 28 balls with another towering six over the midwicket boundary that ended up in the groundsman's shed.

Farley continued on his merry way and finished with 90 off 48 balls, a remarkable 72 of these coming in boundaries. He eventually perished in the 14th over with the score at 132-1, going for another lofted drive but this time picking out Tim Duke at long-on. Ryan Driver (13*) and captain Peter Gough (14*) then finished the job with minimal fuss but Guernsey had long since given up any realistic hopes of victory.

Earlier the Sarnians had won the toss and elected to bat first in sunny but breezy conditions, setting what appeared to be an above-par 158-8 in their 20 overs.

But they started slowly when they lost opener Adam Martel in the 2nd over, nicking one to the keeper off Anthony Hawkins-Kay. Tim Ravenscroft (16) then looked threatening, timing the ball well but often to the fielder, before being out-foxed by slow left-armer Ben Stevens, drawn down the pitch only to be beaten and easily stumped by Farley.

Skipper Stuart Le Prevost (15) and Jeremy Frith (16) then shared in successive partnerships with Ross Kneller (37) to move Guernsey on to 82-4 in the 12th over, but both fell victim to Stevens, Le Prevost bowled playing a cross-batted shot whilst Frith top-edged an attempted reverse-sweep to the keeper.

Guernsey's middle and lower order then chipped in with scores to keep up the momentum, GH Smit (13 off 8 balls) and Lee Savident (17 off 15 balls) accompanying Kneller to move the total onto 124-5 in the 16th over. But Stevens then got his fourth victim, Kneller dancing down the track only to swipe at thin air and be smartly stumped by replacement keeper Dean Morrison.

Number 9 David Hooper (20*) then played some innovative sweeps off the quick bowlers to give Guernsey a late innings flourish, finishing on 158-8 and what looked to be a decent total. As it was, Farley had different ideas and deservedly picked up the man-of-the-match award for his imperious knock.