PNG's Willie Gavera to play club cricket in Scotland
Cricket PNG Media Release
Aberdeenshire Cricket Club has selected Willie Gavera as its overseas amateur for the forthcoming Scottish Premier League season. This is an enormous opportunity for a PNG player to play in the Scottish Premier League on an ICC accredited international ground, at a club that is over 150 years old and has produced many Scotland international players.
This is the highest standard regular season competition that any PNG National player has ever played in. He will compete against Scotland's best full-time professional and semi-professional players.
Traveling halfway around the world to play, the climatic conditions are sure to Test out Willie and he will need to acclimatise quickly to the cold.
Willie will be provided with:
1. Full board and lodgings with a host family from the club.
2. Casual paid work to be organised by the club.
3. PNG Cricket to fund return international airfares.
4. The club will facilitate any fitness program required via the Aberdeen University.
5. The club will provide regular progress reports to PNG Cricket as required.
6. The club will provide all necessary training and playing kit.
7. Cricket PNG provides medical and travel insurance and a weekly allowance
The Scottish National Cricket League season runs from 1 May until 28 August, and the Scottish Cup final is on 4 September so Willie would need to plan to stay till then. It is intended that Willie will depart around the 23rd of April.
The University S&C team have confirmed their support. They intend to give Willie the usual fitness tests at the outset (they have the ICC tests), as well as the skinfold tests before deciding on a strength and conditioning and or flexibility program. They will also have to assess his experience/expertise at the Olympic lifts before deciding on loadings. Sprint circuit classes are also part of the program, twice weekly.
Willie will be actively involved at Club by assisting with Junior coaching as well as learning about turf curation.
International Record for Papua New Guinea
Birth Year 1988