Roy Torrens was last night posthumously inducted into the North West Hall of Fame at their annual dinner and awards night.
The former Ireland international and manager of the team that played in seven World Cups from 2005-2015 died as a result of Covid at the start of last year but will always be a legend in Irish cricket and at his club Brigade where he was a lifelong member.
There was a standing ovation and emotional reception for his widow Joan, who attended the Dinner with their three daughters, when she picked up the award.
Fittingly, the Radio Foyle Player of the Year was received by Brigade opening batsman David Barr who scored 717 runs at an average of 40 and also took 25 wickets.
The other main individual award, in memory of Michael Bannigan for the all-rounder of the year, was won by Newbuildings skipper Jared Wilson who not only led his team to their first Premiership title but also scored 718 runs at an average of 36 and took 37 wickets.
Wilson, who has joined Cliftonville Academy for next season as their Director of Cricket, is spending the winter playing club cricket in Australia.
The Warriors Player of Year went to Conor Olphert who was an unused member of the Ireland squad that has just returned from the T20 World Cup but who made his international debut against India in June. For Warriors he took 12 wickets.
Mollie Devine was the Women’s Warriors Player of the Year and the Senior Player of the Year was won by Bready’s Alana Dalzell who also made her Ireland debut this year, against South Africa, the first North West Woman in a generation to play in a one-day international.
Divisional Award Winners
- Midweek Batting- Billy Dougherty Donemana
- Midweek Bowling Jason Wallace Killyclooney
- League 4 Batting Rawal Wasim Fermanagh
- League 4 Bowling Badah Mahmood Fermanagh
- League 3 Batting Michael Lynch Drummond
- League 3 Bowling David Mills Fermanagh
- League 2 Batting Andy Lucas Sion
- League 2 Bowling TJ Boyd Sion
- League 1 Batting Umer Rawjia Letterkenny
- League 1 Bowling Chris Neely Donemana
- Women’s Division 2 Batting- Millie Spence
- Women’s Division 2 Bowling Sophie Young
- Men’s Championship Batting- Aaron Gillespie Strabane
- Men’s Championship Bowling Mark Snodgrass Burndennett
- Women’s Division 1 Batting- Sarah Black Fox Lodge
- Women’s Division 1 Bowling- Vanessa Buchanan Bready
- Men’s Premier Batting- Ryan Hunter
- Men’s Premier Bowling Ryan Macbeth
There will be a Youth Presentation night coming up shortly at which the Girls’ Youth Player of the Year (Lucy Neely) and the Boys’ Youth Player of the Year (Gavin Roulston) will receive their awards.
- Fair Play Award- Brian Allen
- Spirit of Cricket- Mark Pollock (already presented)
- Official of the Year- Tony McCloskey
- Women’s Young Player of the Year- Alice McLaughlin
- Jack Semple Young Player- Raymond Curry
- Women’s Warriors Player- Molly Devine
- Men's Warriors Player- Conor Olphert
- Coach of the Year- Stephen McCartney
- Club Person of the Year- Simon Galloway
- Michael Bannigan Award- Jared Wilson
- Women’s Senior Player of the Year- Alana Dalzell
- Radio Foyle Player of the Year- David Barr
- Hall of Fame - Roy Torrens