Curtis Campher and Harry Tector could both be in line for ODI debuts after being named in the 14-man squad for the three match ODI series against England which gets under way on Thursday.
Campher is a 20 year-old South African who qualifies for an Irish passport due to his grandmother, who was originally from Derry.
He has signed for YMCA this season, but has actually yet to play a competitive game in Ireland. He has though played for Ireland Wolves against Namibia and the former South African U19 international impressed in that series.
"Curtis has trained well in recent weeks and provides a great balance to the side. Fans saw a little of what he can offer during the intra-squad match last Wednesday, and we believe he’ll be ready to step up if called upon," said Head of Selectors Andrew White.
His Claremont Road colleague Harry Tector has played 20 times for Ireland in T20 cricket, but has yet to play in the ODI format. That could well change this week.
"Harry has demonstrated during warm-up games and in training that he is ready for this format of the game," said White.
"His half-century on Sunday was against an excellent attack, and demonstrated a maturity in his batting for a player so early in their career.”
However, there's no place for CIYMS all-rounder Mark Adair, who is the only player not included from the 12 which lost to England Lions at the weekend.
Barry McCarthy and Craig Young are added, with the seam bowling stocks replenished.
Adair dismissed Jason Roy with his first delivery but along with rest of the Irish attack suffered a pummeling.
The rationale behind his exclusion, despite being Ireland's leading wicket taker in 2019 is explained by White.
"Mark underwent surgery earlier this year, and while that was successful, it has unfortunately meant that he is not yet back to the level that we need him at for international cricket.
"We know that he isn’t far away, but we also need to recognise that Sunday’s game was his first competitive outing since the Caribbean in January.”
There is still hope for the eight players who haven't made the cut though as White explained.
"We also took into account that we have a larger squad here than would be normal, so we decided on a side for the first game only at this point.
"This means that the eight players who miss out on this playing squad may still have an opportunity to feature in the series.”
Those eight reserves are Mark Adair (CIYMS), Gary Wilson (CSNI), Stuart Thompson (CSNI), George Dockrell (Leinster), JJ Garth (Pembroke), Tyrone Kane (Merrion), Peter Chase (Malahide), James McCollum (Waringstown).
The first ODI gets underway on Thursday, with the second on Saturday, and the third on Tuesday. All games are day/night contests starting at 2pm at the Ageas Bow.
Andrew Balbirnie (capt), (Pembroke), Paul Stirling (vc) (North Down), Curtis Campher (YMCA), Gareth Delany (Leinster), Josh Little (Pembroke), Andrew McBrine (Donemana), Barry McCarthy (Pembroke), Kevin O'Brien (Railway Union), William Porterfield, (Formby) Boyd Rankin (Lisburn), Simi Singh (YMCA), Harry Tector (YMCA), Lorcan Tucker (Pembroke), Craig Young (North Down).