It's back to the 1991 NW Senior Cup decider when Mark Simpson clinched a last over thriller to deny holders Eglinton in dramatic fashion.

The contest had ebbed and flowed over two days as both sides traded blow for blow, finally coming down to the last over of the match.

Brigade's 9th wicket pair of Barton Curry and Mark Simpson were at the crease, facing Eglinton's West Indian professional Hendy Wallace with the famous trophy at stake.

Mark Simpson (pictured below) takes up the story of the drama that was to unfold in front of a captive Beechgrove audience.

"While I remember very little about the game but I do remember the final over vividly!" began Simpson.

"There was a huge crowd at Beechgrove, not a space on the benches all round the ground. The sun was just going down behind the scoreboard as we came to the last over.

"We needed eight to win, with Hendy to bowl it down the hill. Barton Curry on strike. Me at the non-strikers end.

"The first two balls were dots. So I approached Barton and said to get a single at least so I could have a go. The third ball went through to the keeper but we managed to scramble a bye. That left 7 needed off 3 balls.

"I connected with the fourth ball to mid wicket in the air, but David Cooke couldn’t see it on the boundary with the sun in his eyes. Some spectators signalled six, some four. There was debate for a while but eventually the umpires confirmed a four.

"I hit the next ball to the boundary too and I remember all the Brigade players and supporters running on to the pitch. I still have the Sentinel picture showing me getting carried off on supporters shoulders. Great memories almost 30 years on."

The Brigade captain was William Wilson (pictured below with the trophy), a wily, shrewd thinker of the game, who captained the NW and also became an Irish selector.

He recalls that they knew Hendy was the crucial wicket for Brigade, and they employed tactics to try and counteract the influence of the affable Bajan.

"I remember the planning going into the game for Hendy which he fell to - caught by Allan Rutherford on the long off boundary off myself," said Wilson.

"Nipper  (Rutherford) had a knee injury at the time and couldn’t keep wickets, so he was fielding in the outfield."

Wallace made 45, with Irish international Nigel Thompson top scoring with 49 in an Eglinton total of 148. The wickets were shared with Dougie Huey taking 3 for 15, two each for Mark Simpson, and one for both Wilson, Paul Wallace and Stephen Smyth.

The Brigade reply didn't go to plan though as they were skittled for 104, with Nigel Thompson taking 5 for 25 (Pictured below getting the MOM award), Wallace and Crawford Martin getting two apiece while Robin Martin took the other.

With a lead of 44, Eglinton would have been hoping for a solid start, but Mark Burley, Gordon Cooke, Shaun Bradley and Ivan McMichael fell quickly to leave them reeling on 17 for 4.

It could have been worse, as Wallace survived a chance early on, as William Wilson recalled.

"Barton Curry dropped a “sitter” off Hendy in the second innings - Dougie Huey the unlucky bowler. Hendy went on to make 81 in their total of 152, leaving us to make the highest total of the match to win the cup, 197.

"That was a fairly big challenge with no fielding restrictions and no limits on bowlers, so as skipper and opening the batting I decided to have a go from the start and was lucky enough to hit a quick 30 to give our innings some impetus."

Colin Jeffrey (54), Stephen Smyth (39), and Allan Rutherford (21) took Brigade to 160 for 2, and with 37 needed off the last 10 overs and eight wickets in hand, it looked as if it would be the easiest of finishes.

However, nerves crept in as Thompson took four quick wickets as Brigade wobbled at 187 for 8 before Mark Simpson emerged the hero of the hour.

For Wilson, the win was all the sweeter as it was achieved without two of their major batsmen.

"We were very much underdogs for the final as two of our usual top three batsmen, Marshall Kilgore and Keith McCrory were on honeymoon at the time. They were obviously very confident in the team’s ability!"

It was Brigade's first win in the competition for 14 years, and they celebrated accordingly, as Wilson revealed.

"The after match celebration lasted for a week or so! It was probably one of the best finals from a neutral point of view that I can remember, and it was great to come out on the right side of the result after such an epic battle."

The next in our cup final series will focus on St Johnston and Ian Rankin, whose 1982 innings against Strabane is the highest score in a cup final. We also talk to him about his unique affinity with the cup, which he won five times with the Saints and Brigade.