Sion Mills Cricket Club has been in the news again recently after they were the target of yet another arson attack that all but ruined their clubhouse/changing facilities.

The Tyrone club has had a seemingly endless battle with vandals over the past number of years and yet despite now playing outside the North West senior ranks, they refuse to roll over.

As is often the case in these situations, the fight is being led by a few hearty souls, and chief among them in Sion's case is Simon Galloway.

As well as being club captain, Simon has held most of the other roles at one stage or another, and usually several of them at the same time.

I interviewed him for some work I was doing for the club's 150th anniversary a few years ago and it was clear then where his motivation to keep the club afloat was coming from.

A quick leaf through the annals of the NWCU's history books will show that despite not having won a senior trophy in the past 36 years, Sion Mills remain the Union's most decorated club to this day.

They have won the senior cup a total of 29 times- only Donemana on 22 are even within touching distance of that. The Holm club does hold the record of senior titles with 31 but Sion are close behind on 27. And it is those numbers that drive Simon Galloway on.

"We're a far cry from the days when Sion Mills were dominant in North West cricket, but we're now the keepers of that magnificent history. The group of people we have here now are determined to do everything we can to hold on to it."

It's a monumental job of course, not just because of the wanton vandalism but because cricket in this day and age remains a very hard sell. Sport in general has taken a huge participation hit over the last number of years as technology and social influences have changed massively since the turn of the millennium.

Sion have had to battle harder than most, but battle they have. Despite this most recent attack, Simon Galloway insists that the outfield at the "Wee Holm" will get its first cut of the season next week as he and the rest of the club members plan ahead.

"We have been working very closely with the North West over the past few years and once again they got right behind us after this latest incident. We got calls from Brian Dougherty, Peter McCartney and David Bradley assuring us of their continued support and that has made a real difference.

"The players and supporters at the club have all rallied around and in playing terms we have one or two former lads coming back to help us out this season. Despite all the problems going on in the world at the minute we're hoping that everyone can come out the other side and we can enjoy some sport when the time is right" he concluded.

Sion of course also featured in a story last week when CricketEurope recounted the unique tale of the 1980 senior cup final between them and Limavady.

That was the game where the Roesiders brought in the briliant Kapil Dev and the match was awarded to Limavady after Sion allegedly didn't turn up for the second innings. Not surprisingly, the Tyrone team's version of events was slightly different.

The Mill side insist that they did indeed turn up for the second innings on the Tuesday evening at 6pm for a 6.30 start, in keeping with North West regulations.

The NWCU had asked them to bring the start time forward to 2pm on Tuesday but Sion refused on the grounds that the players were all working until 4.30. The Union then set a compromise time of 4pm which again was rejected by the Mill side.

They travelled at the usual time on Tuesday evening but arrived to find that the cup had already been presented to Limavady. Seems Kapil had a flight home booked for Wednesday morning and the NWCU bowed to pressure from Limavady to change to an earlier start time despite the difficulties that caused.

I don't know though- the North West making rules up as they go along? Never heard such a thing before...!