WARINGSTOWN’s winning sequence in the Irish Cup goes on, but only thanks to a bowl-out victory in yesterday’s twice-postponed quarter-final against Instonians.

The jinxed match, abandoned on the original date because of a bereavement and last week by rain, had no better luck at the third and final time of asking, with Shaw’s Bridge unplayable after the morning rain.

The bowl-out went to sudden death with Waringstown professional Haseeb Azam on target with his second ball at the unguarded stumps and when Josh Manley missed with Instonians’ next attempt, it was all over with 2-1 the official result.

Kyle McCallan and Azam had missed with Waringstown’s first two attempts but so did Shane Getkate and Manley for Instonians. It was still deadlocked after the third deliveries with Gary Kidd and Andrew White both successful but when James Hall, Ben Rose, Lee Nelson and Nikolai Smith all missed, the prolonged contest went to sudden death.

Waringstown, who have won the competition for the last two seasons, are back in Belfast next Sunday for the all-NCU semi-final against CIYMS, with the winners to play Pembroke or Phoenix in the August 31 final.
CI, meanwhile, tasted defeat in the Robinson Services Premier League for the first time since the opening game of last season.

Having won their last 20 league games, and 24 hours after they had claimed the first trophy of the season, the NCU T20 Cup — which keeps them on course for five trophies — Carrickfergus stunned the champions with victory at Middle Road.

After bowling out the home side for 190 in the 48th over, it all looked plain sailing when CI replied with 84-1.
But what followed certainly wasn’t in the plans. Jacques Snyman (right) had captain Nigel Jones caught, three overs later Chris Dougherty was bowled by Richard Hood and Jason van der Merwe was caught for 10.

CJ van der Walt took that wicket and followed up with Jacob Mulder and Ryan Hunter’s in successive overs and with Obus Pienaar caught off Ashwin Shetty in between, the champions were suddenly 149-7. The last three wickets fell on 161 and Carrick had won by 29 runs.

However, CI’s lead at the top remained intact as North Down lost by 17 runs at home to Instonians, chasing 180, despite Alistair Shields hitting 84. The skipper, who opened the batting, was last man out with 13 balls unused. Only three team-mates reached double figures.

Instonians, who return to Comber on Friday to face CIYMS in the Cup final, lost their last six wickets for 20 runs after captain Andrew White was dismissed for 63 but Josh Manley struck twice in the third over and after Shields’ third-wicket stand of 74 with Ruhan Pretorius (29) was ended by Ben Rose, the next best partnership was 23.

After losing their first five games, this was Instonians’ second win in a row, but they are still joint bottom because Muckamore beat Civil Service North by four wickets at Stormont.

CSN professional Andre Malan hit 119 of his side’s 208-7, while opposite number Fazal Iqbal was Muckamore’s top scorer with 50, but four others topped 20, as against one in the CSN innings. Malan was one of three wickets to fall in the last eight balls to give the visitors the momentum going into the second half and Khartik Rajavelu (43), Jamie Rodgers (30) and David Millar (27) gave them an ideal start.

Iqbal was out 14 short of victory but with four and a half overs remaining, there was no panic and Steve Lazars’ unbeaten 22 saw them home.

Waringstown ended their five-match losing run with victory over Lisburn. Lee Nelson was the only batsman to top 50 for the Villagers as Mark Berry and Reinhardt Strydom each took three wickets. But a target of 228 always looked beyond the visitors and when they collapsed from 89-2 to 95-8, it was game over.

The margin was only 58 runs because Neil Kilpatrick hit a defiant 52 not out from 63 balls, sharing a last-wicket stand of 61 with Jack Martelli. They had seven overs left when the No.11 was caught behind.