As a final competitive warm-up for Monday’s first one-day international against Zimbabwe, it couldn’t have gone much better for Gary Wilson, Mark Adair and Shane Getkate.

The Northern Knights captain and his Ireland team-mates played the key roles in their comprehensive seven wickets victory over holders Leinster Lightning in yesterday’s inter-provincial Cup game at Pembroke.

Wilson was there at the finish, 35 not out, after Adair had smoked 27 from 17 balls in his new role as opener after he had taken two wickets with the new ball.

Getkate, who hopes to win his first ODI cap in the three-match series, continued his superb form with the ball, taking three wickets in the space of six balls to reduce Lightning to 80 for six, after they had won the toss and decided to bat.

They managed only another 34 runs, all out more than an hour before the scheduled lunch interval and Knights chased down the target inside 22 overs to move within a point of their vanquished opponents at the top of the table.

James McCollum, the other Knights' member of the Ireland ODI squad who will be reporting for duty this weekend, was out for seven and he has opted to play for Waringstown in their Challenge Cup quarter-final tomorrow “to have another hit”.

But on the day, his early wicket caused barely a ripple in the Knights camp, which is oozing with the confidence at the moment.

On the back of three victories in the T20 Trophy, and despite losing the toss, they had Lightning reeling at 4-3 at the start of the fourth over with Adair having the woefully out of form Jack Tector caught at third slip and Lorcan Tucker – another Ireland squad member – caught behind with a poor shot to only his fifth ball.

In between Graham McCarter found the edge of Gareth Delany’s bat for another third slip catch and indeed Wilson thought his fielder should have had a hat-trick of catches – and a third wicket for Adair - when another edge from Simi Singh clipped Rock’s fingers but was just too high.

Fortunately for Lightning, Singh survived or it could have got very embarrassing. As it was, Andrew Balbirnie who had been watching the early mayhem from the other end – it was 15 minutes before he faced a ball – and Singh put on 71 for the fourth wicket.

But when Getkate was introduced, the Instonians all-rounder needed only 12 deliveries to dismiss Singh and, to another poor shot, Kevin O’Brien.

Lightning captain George Dockrell followed three overs later and when Jacob Mulder came on the leg spinner took three wickets in his first 15 balls to wrap up the innings.

In the 11 overs before lunch, although an impressive Peter Chase took two wickets and Barry McCarthy one, Knights were halfway to their target and Wilson and Harry Tector shared nine boundaries to hurry the NCU side to their first one-day win over Lightning since 2013, when they won the trophy.
Will history repeat itself?
The teams have two matches left.