IRELAND WOLVES and Scotland A will try again today after the first match of their Twenty20 series in Oak Hill yesterday was abandoned, just three overs into the second innings.

The Scots had hit 36 off the last three overs to finish on 153-9 and taken two early wickets to put the Wolves under pressure but the second interruption of the day proved to be terminal. There are two matches remaining, with the deciding game tomorrow.

Oliver Metcalfe, the 17-year-old Instonians opening batsman, made his Wolves debut but he was second out, having faced just seven balls; one ball later the rain arrived.

Jack Tector was the first to go, to his sixth delivery, and will be hoping to get two more chances to give himself a chance of forcing his way into the thoughts of the senior selectors.

The most impressive Wolves bowler was leg spinner Gareth Delany who conceded only 13 runs in his four overs and also took a wicket. As he also opens the batting for Leinster Lightning in T20 cricket, he could also be a contender for promotion in a season which culiminates in the T20 World Cup qualifying tournament in the UAE.

At this stage, Mark Adair and Shane Getkate would be in the first choice line-up and although they shared only four overs yesterday, they took three wickets, Adair with his first ball and Getkate with two in his second over.

Craig Young also had a good day, ending up with three wickets, including Scotland A top scorer Craig Wallace.
The experienced senior international has three one-day international 50s to his name but yesterday he had a T20 best of 72 from 48 balls, which included eight boundaries, half of them sixes.

Three of those maximums came in the charge to the finish, two of them off successive balls from Peter Chase and Graham Kennedy and he ended the 19th over with another six of the North West Warriors bowler. Wallace was eventually out to the last ball of the innings to give Young his second wicket of the over.

It was a nightmare start with the ball for captain Harry Tector, who chose to bowl the first over and six balls later had conceded 17 runs! He didnít return.

Scotland A were 31 without loss when rain took the players off for the first time after three overs but Chase removed the dangerous George Munsey with the first ball on the resumption and at halfway, Ireland were the happier side having reduced the visitors to 69-5.

But Young was hit for two sixes in the next over which disappeared for 19 and the momentum was once again with the Scots.