The first round of this year's Irish Senior Cup turned out to be another difficult day for North West clubs, with only Bready of the five local sides who set out, progressing to the draw for Round 2.

The Magheramason team certainly didn't get it all their own way either, visitors Lisburn looked ideally placed in their innings to post a big total when they reached 250-4 before the hosts pulled it back late on.

A superb 139 from overseas man Faiz Fazal along with cameos of 40 from Johnny Waite, and 33 from David Simpson looked to have teed the NCU side up for a big finish, however three wickets for Conor Olphert and a couple each for Irosh Samarasooriya, David Rankin and Gregory McFaul saw the last six wickets fall for the addition of just 43 runs.

Still, 293 looked very competitive at the start although in fairness the home side's batting never looked in any trouble.

Rankin, fresh from a battling half-century for the Warriors on Thursday was at it again here as he made 80 at the top of the order.

Samarasooriya however was right at his best as he hit an unbeaten 105 at the other end- that pair sharing in a third wicket stand worth 148.

There were no dangers from then on and Bready progressed to the second round with seven wickets in hand.

Elsewhere however the picture was somewhat bleaker for local clubs. Brigade were regarded as one of the local Union's best chances on Saturday but they were well beaten by Pembroke at Sydney Parade.

The Waterside outfit batted first and although they lost in-form Gareth McKeegan early on, a 48-run stand between David Barr and Iftikhar Hussain looked to have started a recovery.

Once that partnership was broken however only Johnny Thompson with 19 and a very late unbeaten 33 from Jonny Robinson gave the visitors any sort of target to bowl at.

The Beechgrove side's final tally was 152- Fiachra Tucker with 3-27 the pick of the Dubliners' bowling.

With such a strong batting line-up, the hosts were firm favourites from that point and a 92-run partnership for the second wicket between Theo Lawson (60 not out) and Lorcan Tucker 44 meant that the home side crossed the winning line with 7 wickets and lots of overs to spare.

Coleraine looked to be up against it when they entertained NCU kingpins Civil Service NI and so it proved.

Some excellent early bowling from Matthew Foster (3-14) and Graeme McCarter (3-18) had the Bannsiders reeling on 29 for 6 as the Stormont side seized the initiative steaight away.

Vishal Chopra added evaluable 38 in the middle order, but all that did was help Coleraine limp to 103 all out.

Marc Ellison with an unbeaten 37 at the top of the visitors' order ensured there would be no slip-ups from there

It was always going to be an uphill task for the Sandal Lodge outfit, however their fragile batting order is surely giving cause for concern even at this early stage of the summer.

Ballyspallen had drawn possibly the shortest straw of all as they were paired away at The hills in Dublin and although they fell to a 6-wicket defeat, Adam McDaid's team did at least offer a reasonable scrap.

Skipper McDaid top scored with 68 while Brendon Louw added 57 and Graham Kennedy 34 in a decent total of 220 all out. Tomas Rooney'Murphy with 4-41 and Darya Singh (3-36) proved best with the ball for the Fingal side.

Singh complemented his bowling figures with an unbeaten 54 and he was kept company by Mark Donegan who added 60 not out in a 6 wicket-win for the hosts.

Kennedy (2-58) was the pick of the 'Spallen bowlers on a day when they wear beaten but unbowed.

The best finish of the day for the second week running was at the Rectory where Glendermott were edged out yet again in the dying stages, this time buy Rush.

The Rectory side made 258-7 from their 50 overs, David Cooke with 41 and Gordon Montgomery (39) the best of the top order.

The fireworks however were to come later on as Gordon Cooke with 49 not out, Ryan Barr with 40 and Scott Laird with a 5-ball 19 getting them up to their competitive total.

Juri Snyman (2-15) and Jared Barnes- returning to the North West after his spell with Coleraine several seasons ago- (2-44) fared best with the ball for their side..

Stephen Doheny with 56, Synman (30) and Jack Magee (29) gave the visitors a fighting chance in their reply before Neil Rock took the contest by the scruff of the neck.

The highly-regarded youngster batted superbly to make an unbeaten 95 steering his side through the latter stages of a game that looked lost.

Cooke with 3-54 had given Glendermott a real chance of defending their total, with Gareth Burns and Keeshan Wijerathne both picking up two wickets, however it was all In Vain as Rock steered Rush home with the last two batsmen together at the crease.

Strabane had already been given a bye to Round 2 while Donemana's game at North Down and Eglinton's match at Phoenix Park were both postponed following the death of Alan Dunn.

Those ties will be replayed next Sunday and it will take a big performance from both to increase the local Union's representation at the next stage of the competition.

Things were a little better in the National Cup- certainly at the Bleachgreen where Ardmore posted a mammoth 400 for 3 in their 40 overs against County Sligo.

The damage was done here by overseas man Peet Pienaar who made a superb 257. Pienaar was given fantastic backing by Mark Chambers who made 98 and the result was a foregone conclusion from there as the home side had 272 of those runs to spare at the end.

Killyclooney are also through after half centuries from Derek Lynch and Timmy Dougherty helped them beat Ballyhaunis, however The Nedd, Bonds Glen and Newbuildings were all beaten in their first round ties.