Northern Knights paceman Mark Adair has been called up into the Ireland Wolves squad for the forthcoming tour of Sri Lanka, and Sri Lanka Cricket have requested a change to the tour schedule after being informed about a required venue change.
22-year old Adair, who recently switched his club cricket side and will join CIYMS, recently attended the Cricket Ireland bowling camp in La Manga, Spain and replaces Tyrone Kane who will stay in Dublin to continue rehabilitation work on an injury.
Andrew White, National Chair of Men’s Selectors, said:
“Mark had a promising season at club and Inter-Provincial level following his return from Warwickshire CCC and impressed bowling coaches at the recent bowling camp in Spain. We hope he continues to demonstrate his obvious talent in Sri Lanka, as he is an exciting prospect who can contribute in all three disciplines.”
“As with any such replacement, it is disappointing for the player who misses out, however, after taking advice from medical staff, the selectors thought it important to give Tyrone Kane more time to recover from this recent injury. It is a long year ahead for our national side, and to have players like Tyrone fit and ready for the internationals is our priority at the moment.”
“We are in a fortunate position with the Wolves to have a number of emerging talented bowlers pushing for higher honours at present. The selectors discussed a number of potential replacements for the spot, however Mark got the nod as a reward for his on-field performances in 2018 combined with his recent efforts in Spain.”
In further news, Sri Lanka Cricket have advised due to the unavailability of one venue previously scheduled in the tour programme, a minor adjustment has had to be made. The main impact is on the first two fixtures, with a date and venue change for the first 4-day match against Sri Lanka A.
The new schedule is:
- 30 December 2018 - Ireland Wolves arrive
- 1 January 2019 - Two-day warm-up match (MCG Katunayake)
- 5 January 2019 - 1st Four-day match v Sri Lanka A (SSC Colombo)
- 13 January 2019 - 2nd Four-day match v Sri Lanka A (MRICS - Hambantota)
- 19 January 2019 - 1st One-Day match v Sri Lanka A (MRICS - Hambantota)
- 21 January 2019 - 2nd One-Day match v Sri Lanka A (MRICS - Hambantota)
- 24 January 2019 - 3rd One-Day match v Sri Lanka A (SSC Colombo)
- 26 January 2019 - 4th One-Day match v Sri Lanka A (SSC Colombo)
- 29 January 2019 - 5th One-Day match v Sri Lanka A (RPICS - Colombo)
- 30 January 2019 - Ireland Wolves depart